separate panto borders

Hi, hope everyone had fun at MQS. I heard it was great. I know this topic has been discussed, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a video or book that discussed doing separate panto borders. I just don't get how to do the corners. The only video I have didn't discuss it. She just said that you can do it, but she didn't show you how. The quilt i need to do has two six inch borders, and I just don't want to mess them up. Thanks!!!

Barb:)

When I use a panto for a border, I try to place it where there is a good stopping place before I reach the corner. In the unquilted corner square, I put a small design from one of my stencils,ie heart, diamond, star, etc. This takes the guess work out of matching the designs at each corner, or overlapping them. I tried matching them, but that didn't work for me. I have seen it done very nicely, but just not for me at this time. The separate corner piece seems to work better.

Hope this helps.

One of the classes I took last week showed how to place panto borders. It made sense. First, she found the natural mitered (SP?) edge of the corners and marked them with masking tape. (From inside corner to outside corner). Then placed the panto corners (two pieces) on top of the plastic flap on the machine table (back of the machine), and taped them down. Then she lifted the plastic flap and placed the border panto underneith and then moved it left and right until it had the best fit between the corners. Two lines connect the corners to the border and off she went.

The video that I have is from Donita Reeve called "Pantograghs for Borders and All-Over Designs"

She demostrates everything from getting set-up, dead end borders, adjusting border patterns, borders with a corner, all over pantos, repeating pantos, nested designs, & alternate nested designs.

She uses a Gammil in the video but what she teaches you is the same with all machines. Also a good book to get that talks about this stuff is Linda Taylor's " The Ultimate Guide tyo Longarm Machine Quilting" She goes into detail about all of the above and also the taping the mitered corner for the corner designs that someone else mentioned.

Joann

Archived