Pattern Packs

gable428

I would like to try the pattern packs out there. There are so many beautiful ones to choose from. Is there a trick to using them? For instance, if the border design is only 3 feet long and I have a quilt longer than that, what's the trick to making it work? Seems a little confusing to me :( Thanks in advance for any input.

Gable

you need to use them with the "Quilter's Assistant Proportional Scale" which is a golden threads tool.

1) you figure out the size of the pattern provided

2) figure out the size you need to enlarge or reduce based on the quilt you are doing

3) use the #'s in 1&2 to use the QAPS tool

4) then make the enlargement/reduction size to your printer (or take it to a place like Kinkos) and print off the size needed. If you don't have a banner type printer available or your print shop doesn't have one then you will need to tape the paper sheets together to get the legnth needed.

Joann

Actually the proprtional scale is not difficult to use, it's easy and very accurate.

The part I hate is making the copies and having to piece everything with tape to get it long enough to fit the border I am working on.

I love the designs from "Designs from Deb" she has multiple border designs on on sheet that are panto length. Very reasonable priced and no hassels of the copier ;)

Also some pantograghs can be used as border designs, as long as they are not the stagering/interlocking kind.

Joann

• 2 weeks later...

I have quite a few pattern packs. What I have done is copy them onto rolls of paper to make my own pantos. What I do is just slide the pattern down and keep using the pattern repeat. Most of the ones I have have the repeat marked so you know which part to keep repeating until you get to the next border. I then use the matching corner. Sometimes I have had to fudge the connection a bit but it isn't ever noticeable.

Give one a try. It's not so bad.

Marge

Archived