birthday blocks - running behind, but haven't quit

janeta

I was doing so well on keeping up to date on the birthday blocks (up through April) and at the beginning of May my father was put in the hospital and is still in there. He lives in another state and I went to help out for about 5 weeks. He was in ccu and on life support for 3 weeks. He was moved to icu for awhile and then to a regular room. He is now in rehab and hoping to go home in the next few weeks. I hope this happens as he had his third stroke in May and then got pneumonia on top of that. We almost lost him three times during this stay, so needless to say, I haven't even had a chance to really think about the birthday blocks. Now my son has basketball tournaments in Louisville, Ky (Mon-Thur) and Morgantown, West Va. Fri - Sun. Then he has a week off and from there we are off to Las Vagas for another week long tournament. After I get back from that I will try to get back on track for the blocks, so please bear with me if your birthday block is late. Janet :(

As folks reply here I am marking them as continueing and will send a block as their birthday arrives-- glad to see people are still intending to send

(I just didn't want to send to those who had quit then they may feel pressured to play if life is troubleing them it might be an added stress they don't need.)

so who else is still playing???

I'm still working on blocks too. I've finished seven blocks in the last few days, it takes my mind off waiting for my new grandson to get here. I have three more ready to sew. I still plan to make one for everybody on the list too. My husband thinks I should make everyones name and state bigger on each block for added interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Birthday Block List + Procrasination = Embarassment and an Apology

Hi all.

When I signed up to do this exchange, I was so excited. As soon as I got the list, I pulled all the fabrics from my stash that I had the right fabrics for, and cut as many blocks out as I could. I wanted to get them done as fast as the rest of you...they were pouring in my mailbox early on, and my b-day isn't even until August. I was overwhelmed.

Then I got one of those "rush" jobs. And another, and another. I have just been burned out by my customers, and then I couldn't even get to the stuff I wanted to do.

Bottom line: I am tired of procrastinating about getting the birthday blocks done, If you will please forgive me, and be just a tiny bit patient, I know I can get them done. I am currently working on a large quilt that should be finished by Monday or Tuesday. After that, I do not have any customer quilts scheduled for a few weeks, and I am just going to sit down and get busy with everyone's blocks. I will be able to get caught up in a short time,

On a side note, I believe that by stopping my procrastination, I might stop attracting those customers that give me those rush jobs. I can't keep up that pace! Isn't there a saying about "A lack of preparation on your part does not necessarily mean an emergency on my part."

You have all been so great in sending birthday blocks to me. They are all beautiful. I am going to post photos shortly.

Sorry to ramble on, I just wanted to 'fess up already, because I feel guilty even coming to check the message board!

Thanks for your patience.

I found things kept getting in my way of getting started on the birthday blocks too. But I just started pulling fabrics for ones I could and found I couln't stop making birthday blocks. My DH says 'are you about done with those yet?' Because I have block wannabes laying together on the kitchen counter in his way (all the time now). They just look sooooo pretty and sooooo happy laying there together, maybe I'll get another 30 done this weekend before I have to watch grand-daughter Leah. She also loves to play with bright colored scraps or help grandma sew.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of the newest additions to this exchange, so I haven't even started yet! I hope I know what I'm getting myself into. Love to learn new things, so it will be allright. I will try , but may need an extension.

I joined because my birthday is Christmas Eve, and it tends to get lost in the Christmas rush. I chose a House block. Hope that's okay. I thought it would make a cool quilt to have different kinds of houses all together in one big neighborhood.

Are we signing the blocks? I would love to have names and locations on mine.

Karol

Inverness, FL

I'm another one that is way behind. I was doing so well there for a while, then BAM, one thing after another. I'm glad we have the whole year to get these done as that's what it will take me! But after my daughter's wedding on Sept 1st, I should be able to get back to this.

I will also post photos of those I have received so far. They are great!!

thanks

Sara

Will this be done again next year? Do you do ones for people who have the same birth month as you do? I noticed Karol asked for house blocks. Do you state what size and type of block you want? What about colors? This sounds like it might be more fun than joining one of the block of the months in the catalogues. Less expensive too as some of those are fifteen plus dollars a month plus postage. Thanks for any answers.

I am also ones of those that was bowled over by "life". I am still playing catch-up after getting my pacemaker, and then Dad's accident and death. I have one quilt to do for a pattern designer to hang in her booth at Houston, then maybe, at last, I can finish.

Linda in Louisiana

I too am running behind. Even with my thank yous ( red face here). We've had a wedding, a funeral, farming, prom, HS graduation (jumping for joy) and getting ready for college. I am going to start on them again this week and hopefully catch up.

Pam H

Make a block for yourself first, hang it in a prominent place, and use it as a goal to finishing the number you want to do. This visualization technique is very effective. Keep chipping away at making the blocks by just doing ten minutes a day, every day. This is easier if your machine is set up all the time. Trying to reserve a block of time isn't possible for you when your plate if full of commitments. Make this ten minute routine a relaxing time of each day where you breathe deeply and think good thoughts. It's a bit like daily exercise for your body, only it's for your mind. Bless you all for taking on this challenge. Good luck. Breathe! ;)

Vicki

I am having to take a "forced break" this week. My machine went to Springfield for repairs this morning. I'm hoping it's a short break as I have quilt block pieces laying out all over the place. I think a gremlin moved in last Wednesday. I was working on an ohio star for somebody, went to press some seams and when I came back it wouldn't sew at all, just kept jamming and making the nest knot on backside. Now tell me how can it be fine when I leave the room and not when I come back? Every body else in the house was still asleep. Oh well...I'm hoping to pick it up Thursday when my hubby takes me to the fair to see all the quilts and crafts.

Archived