Missing stitches

I am having a moment, or at least my machine is. It is consistently failing to form stitches when moving back and left (looking from the front of the machine). I've changed the needle several times for different sizes and types. I checked the timing (I was sewing weird stuff last week) but it seems fine. I am using the same thread, fabric and wadding as the last quilt I had on the frame, when it was working perfectly. I've cleaned the bobbin area and I can't find any stray threads or lint.

The top thread is perfect quilter and the bottom masterpiece, it is one of my standard combinations. The fabric is cotton sateen, and the wadding hobbs 80/20.

Any suggestions for my next move?

Ferret

I've just given that a go, no difference. I have put in a call to APQS hopefully someone will have time to call me back soon.

How does my machine know what I have a large and urgent quilt on? It is the only time it causes trouble.

Ferret

Hi Ferret,

You machine knows that you have a large and urgent quilt the same way that your hair knows when it's the day to get it cut, and it looks lovely. However, it's been horrible for the past 2 weeks, and just plain bad before that. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Beth

Hi Ferret,

I just got home and got your message.

What kind of weird stuff were you quilting last week?

Is it possible that you could have pushed your needle bar up? Check that out. Bring your needle to the (lowest) position and look in the hook area to see how much of the eye of your needle you see. You wan tot see the entire eye but not more.

Let me know, and do let me know what you were quilting. Hope this helps.

Myrna

I was quilting a chair, it has interfacing instead of backing. Funnily the needle bar was the first thing I checked. It looks fine. I spoke to Amy last night who suggested bringing the hook assembly forward more to get a good deflection on the needle. I don't know if you rememerb my machien but it has hook assembly issues. Since you talked to it it mostly behaves though.

Well I managed to get it to move forward another notch, and it did help a bit more. I decided I would live with it for now and fiddle later. I've been quilting all day and it seems to be getting steadily better very slowly. I guess something is settling into a place it wants to be but who knows what or where.

Since the chair I have done another black wholecloth (thats what is on the frame right now) there are pictures of it and the chair on my blog. I will have to take some more of the chair now the hand sewing is well under way. I am really thrilled with it. It is even feeling quite robust. I am already making plans for a table to go with it :)

Thanks

Ferret

Ferret, your black wholecloth (the wings) is very cool! Interesting design. I'd like to see the sides of it where you did your little feathers (filler). Can you show that to us, too?

PS: I agree with you about the issues around art censorship. I can emapthize with both sides of the issue. It's a delicate fine line to walk, isn't it? There's no way to please everyone, but artists must keep their freedom of expression, too.

Anyway, keep up the good work. :) It's always fun to see what you're up to...

Hi Ferret

How clever is Myrna to ask what you were quilting last!!!

If you don't already have an MR5 needle in, you could try changing up to a larger size needle to get you through the quilt you have on. the larger needle closes the gap between the needle and the hook and might just do the trick as a temporary measure.

Good luck

sue in australia

After a lot of quilting yesterday the machien seems perfectly happy today, it has settled down again. I can't clain to understand it but I am pleased.

I'll post pictures of the finished litte black wholecloth later this month. It is for the NEC so I don't like to show it all too soon :)

Ferret

Hi Ferret,

It sounds like you've already solved your problem (at least the machine is behaving today!)

Here are some "why's" as to what you were experiencing:

[*] When you quilt to the LEFT, the is needle flexing to the RIGHT. That means that the needle gets into position to make the locking stitch before the point of the hook reaches it. In other words, the needle is early.

When you move AWAY from yourself, the needle flexes TOWARD you. This creates a gap or space between the needle and the hook, resulting in the missed stitches.

[*] When you combine the two above movements, you're getting a "double whammy" when it comes to needle flex. (That's why a long arm quilter will often see her tension change slightly on the back when she moves in those to directions--making circles for example.)

[*] Use a sturdy needle, at least the 4.0. If you still get skipped stitches, go up to a 4.5 or even a 5.0 to see if it helps.

I recently was using Carol Brytes from Superior and had to move to a 4.5 to prevent the skipped stitches. Carol Bryte is similar to the Poly Quilter you are using in that it is a heavier thread. It will naturally put more stress or "tug" on the needle, increasing its flexing motion when other threads seem to work just fine with the same needle.

Interestingly, you can also have the skipped stitches if the needle is too small and you're using a very fine thread, such as So Fine. Since the thread is so "skinny" the hook can sometimes miss it as it revolves around the bobbin basket, especially if the needle is flexing away from the hook (as you move the machine AWAY from you, for example.)

[*] Moving rapidly, especially the way we all naturally do when trying to make nice curves and circles, will increase the flex and make the problem worse.

[*] Timing can certainly have an impact on missed stitches as well. I usually try the above remedies before suspecting the timing as the culprit, especially if nothing has happened to "throw it out of whack" such as jamming a needle.

When you DO check the timing, be sure to use a magnifying glass to check the "air gap" between the needle and the point of the hook. I often have to put a piece of white paper off to the side of the hook and needle and peer in from the side with my magnifier, so that I can really see the timing. The naked eye usually cannot see well enough to tell if there's a gap or not.

It sounds like Amy suspected a "gap" between the hook and needle, and bringing the hook closer to the needle closed the gap. If you later switch to a heavier needle, you may notice a clicking sound if the gap is tight. I'd re-evaluate the timing after you've finished this project.

Take a deep breath and have fun, it will be okay!

Dawn

Archived