I think I've lost it, help

Hi all,

Got a knock on my door today and standing there was a neighbor girl who is about 17 years old. She asks if I can quilt a quilt for her for her 4-H project for the fair next week. Ok, no problem. Until she brings in a 90 x 90 gorgeous quilt that she has done. Perfect seams and pressing. The problem is she wants it to look like the pattern in the book. I have no idea if there is a stencil for it or what stencil was used. Plus I have only a 8 days for me to quilt it and her to bind and finish it by noon Wednesday. Plus help my 9 year old son start and finish his quilt for the fair. Can't (don't want to) say no, we are in the same club.

Any way maybe some one can help me. It is a Monterrry Medallion, from Atkinson Designs, it is the simple version. It looks like there are two different size patterns.

I am new and have never done anything like this. I can't believe I said I could do it.

Thank you,

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting

How are you at freehand. Since you are limited on time you could try to talk her into an edge to edge, telling her that you would make the thread blend so that you won't see the quilting, only the beauty of the piecing. Really play up the idea of how well she pieced it and that is what everyone wants to see, not the quilting. Maybe she will go for it. After all that is not a lie! That is a beautiful pattern and if she pieced it as well as you said, then that is what should shine.

Just my two cents....Good luck!

Mary Beth

I am a 4H and state fair judge and at least in Indiana, there is no category where a 4Her can enter something they didn't do all the work themselves. In other words, you would not be allowed to quilt the quilt for her. She may use your machine to quilt it herself, but the work must be hers.

Well, I sincerely apologize....things have changed a lot then in the last few years since I was involved with 4H. When my kid was in it and when I was helping with the teaching...the kids weren't allowed to have any help....whether it was raising a calf or sewing a garment, making an afaghan or throwing a clay pot. Oops on my part I didn't think they would ever change in that aspect.

I was surprised to find that I could do it for her also. My son made a quilt this spring and people kept saying he should enter that. But I thought that he had to have made it himself from start to finish. We just joined 4-H this spring, my husband was in it as a kid. So I don't know a lot about it. I just found the information in the book they sent us for the different projects. The girl has been in it for a long time, since being a clover bud. Hope she knows for sure.

Hope to get to the quilt tonight, unless I have to head out of town. Found out my grandma is in the hospital. She's 82 years young. Been waiting all day to hear news. Should soon my dad is on the way to check on her.

Angela

Red Leaf Quilitng

Archived