ReStore

Hi fabric007,

I just used Orvus Quilt Soap on an old quilt top my sister gave me and followed the directions on the jar and it took alot of the old dirt and grime away. Some of the stains remained, but I think whoever had the quilt top before my sister must have used it as a paint drop cloth. :P You might give that a try. You can get it your LQS or online.

Raggie

:)

If you're looking for Orvis soap, it is a product easily found (larger container and less expensive) at Farm type stores and many veterinary clinics/supply. It is a livestock shampoo, lol. My gallon cost about as much as 8 oz. at the quilt store.

I restore vintage linens and use a solution of BIZ (found in the detergent section of most grocery stores). It may take several soakings for over 24 hours or more each time. But it works.

I have also used this on a Redwork quilt that I hand quilted on a floor frame. I left the blue wash out pen on the quilt for a long time as I worked on the quilt for months...when I went to remove the blue wash out it had set. I soaked the quilt it in a solution of BIZ in my washer for days. It did not fade the red thread! but it removed the blue wash out.:)

Patience, soaking and BIZ.;)

Archived