Photo Fabrics - which is best?????

Yes, we've discussed this quite a lot before, but at Sisters I saw a display by HP of about six different brands of photo sheets and what they did after washing and all that..... so wonder if any experts in photo quilts could shed a little more light on this subject. She had washed them four times, or something, and cut strips each time to show how much they faded, and the top one that didn't fade at all was that kind that everyone hates because it's rubbery, and Printed Treasures didn't seem to hold up very well. Sooo..... what's a quilter to do???

Patch:

I have used Printed Treasures with great success. The quilts that I have made have only been washed several times. At Houston Quilt Festival the Printed Treasure booth had their product along side several other brands after washing. The color on theirs had remained the brightest. With that said I guess it all depends on what you wash them and if it is going to be washed frequently.

I think you will find each brand does it's own test and they all come out differently.

This was Hewlett-Packard, and I really wonder why on earth they were bothering, as they didn't seem to have a product to show anything with the printed fabrics, just wanted to show what they all did. They must be connected somehow to the one that did the best, is my estimation. Anybody know about that??

HP sells inkjet printers and these are the type printers used on these various fabric sheets. Usually they are at shows to get people to buy these from the HP dealer in the area. I will still use Printed Treasures on my quilts as I really like the feel of the fabric sheets. If you get a chance to go to Houston Quilt Festival you can see Printed Treasures and other companies samples. They tell you how many times each has been washed.

I've used a few different brands and like the Printed Treasures the best. I use a very old inkjet printer, but I don't skimp on the ink. I use the authentic HP ink. I think you may get different results if you use a generic ink, like the refillables. I figure a lot of my time and expense is invested in the quilt, so I'm not about to save a few bucks on the ink. I also like to enhance my photos before I print them on the fabric. I make the color more intense and sharpen them for definition. I used to just print on fabric for people to use in their projects. I would scan the photos, correct the color, repair the damage and then give them a CD with them electronically and print them in the size they wanted. They supplied the blank CD and the fabric sheets, I charged a bit for the ink and never had anyone come back and say the color didn't hold up and I've printed hundreds of pics over the past couple years. I've always wanted to try the make your own, but have never taken the time since I've been so pleased with the Printed Treasures.

I've used a lot of different fabrics but I really like EQ from Electric Quilt. They have different thread counts so you can get what you want. They wash really well. I also use the actual HP Ink not the off brand refills (office depot/office max). EQ also has some great info on their site concerning the printable sheets. I've never used Printed Treasures but it sounds like you all like it so of course I'm going to try that product too.:cool:

Bear in mind that the result is also dependant on the type of ink your printer uses. I would strongly suggest doing your own tests with your printer. Maybe club together with some friends and try a lot of different fabrics. As part of the test I would also suggest sewing with the fabrics. I got great print quilitys on some but hated sewing them.

Ferret

Archived