tension disk help

mrmquilt

This will sound so stupid but I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. My Ult II had smooth tension disks which I understood the thread went between the disks.

OKAY.... I just set up my Ultimate I and it has a lumpy tension disk and there is no way the thread is going inbetween. I know because I took it off to see if it could. I know I don't have the machine threaded right at the tension disk. I can loosen it all the way and tighten it all the way and the thread has the same tension. What the heck am I doing

wrong?????

Thanks

Michele

Michelle,

Your ultimate I tension disks should be just the same as your old disks. The machine will also thread the same way. Perhaps you could post a photo of your new disks so that we could see what's going on and help you diagnose and fix it.

Unless you bought your Ultimate I from an independent person who had somehow switched the tension mechanism out, it should be the same as your Ult. II.

Let us know...

Dawn

Hi Dawn, Thank you for replying. I bought it from an independent person. And it is definitely not like the Ult.II so it has to be after market. Why mess with perfection.

Here is a picture of it if I can get it to post. If nothing else I am going to try and take the tension disks off the bobbin winder and put them on the Ultimate I. I understand how that tension works and am able to use it. Yikes.

Thanks for any info anyone has.

Michele

post--13461898307441_thumb.jpg

Michele -- That is the type of tension unit used on embroidery machines. the thread is wrapped around the "wheel" 1-3/4 times before going around the check spring. the "wheel" rotates as you sew and the friction is controlled by the pressure on both sides of the "wheel" The thread rides in the "wheel" and does not go BETWEEN the wheel discs.

Johnmach

Hi Michele

About 7 years ago everyone on another quilting list was raving about this type of tensioner being "the best thing since sliced bread" and quite a few of us, me included HAD to have one. I had nothing but trouble and quickly changed back to the original tensioner.

Sue in Australia

Michele -- The reasoning behind that type of tension unit is that because the thread doesn't go between two discs, there is little difference, in upper tension, between a very fine and a very coarse thread, or between a smooth and a "lumpy" thread. The tension is controlled by how easily the "wheel" rolls, not by how thick, or irregular, the thread is.

Johnmach

Archived