Exciting news- Need suggestions

Judy,

Thanks for the link to the Carpenter's star. I sketched one out, and then cut two out of fabric. They are fast! And an elegant looking design. We had two of our 2007 graduates die just shortly after graduation this year, and I've been thinking about making comfort quilts for their parents. This pattern is it! They will be identical, except for the colors. These girls were neighbors and best friends. I feel like they are right here with me as I work on these quilts.

Thanks again.

Karol

Inverness, FL

OOps, I forgot to mention it was a car accident. They had been shopping, and on the way home, went off the road, overcompensated, and had a head on collision with a truck. Terribly sad. I hope the quilts will give their parents a little bit of comfort.

Karol

Shana and Karol - Sad stories, it does happen too often! My friend just lost

her brother on Sunday, cancer. His birthday is tomorrow - he would have

been 50. Been talking with her a bunch these past few days. I think I

should do something like this for her too.... now on a lighter note.....

Teresa!! How great! Sounds like you will have a blast! Try to have a good

friend or helper there with you. So you can take a break now and then.

Good luck with it! Think of ways to display upwards on the walls too. At our

last guild show, they could not tape anything to the walls. Some had old

doors that they leaned-up agaist the wall, some had expensive wire frame

thingys. Some kind of strong pole structure so that the quilts can be on a

bit of display rack. Nice lights that clip-on and shine on those great quilts

too!! (remember extension cords for the lights.....)

Karol and Shana,

Such sad stories. Our church had been praying for a neighbor girl of one of our members. She was 14 years old. Anyway another lady made a quilt and asked me to quilt and bind it for the girl. I appliqued her name on it and it was presented to her and her family from the church. Unfortunately it was given to her 20 hours before she passed to be with the lord and she wasn't responsive. I guess the family was so greatful for the quilt and would like to meet me and the other lady. I just feel so bad for these families that lose children so young. I can't imagine. What a wonderful idea to give these quilts to the families.

Sorry to get off the main subject. Teresa, are you having any luck out there?

Angela

Hi again Teresa: Here's another Billie Lauder idea for a kid's car quilt. It's done in Split Rail design and perhaps you could make your own design using graph paper and figuring out where the colors go in the Split Rail pattern. This is such a cute quilt that would be very popular. She also had flamingos and fish done in split rail which was very clever. Good luck in making quilts for the show.

Vicki

post--13461898315354_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everybody. I'm still figuring out what to do. I like the ideas everyone has given, but I'm so scared of getting sued for copyright law. I'll probably just stick with the log cabin variations, the rail fence, ohio star, etc. Things that have been around forever and ever.

But, I've also seen people take those old old blocks and arrange them a certain way and call it their own pattern, even if it's something somebody's grandmother made 50 years earlier. This copyright stuff is crazy.

Teresa,

After just reading the last few posts and the great ideas, here's another thought. Many years ago I used to do lots of other needlework, such as cross stitching and needlepoint. At times when I felt creative, I would doodle on some graph paper and come up with ideas for some cross stitching. Sometimes it was just a little duck to embroider on an undershirt (baby's) or maybe something on a tea towel. Anyway, I made a quilt for a baby using one of my old clown cross stitch designs. I pieced a square of the correct colored fabric to equal the same X on the design. It turned out really cute. Of course, on the quilt I added broders and a few more details, but you may have something like that tucked away with an old stash of embroidery floss.

Anyway, just a thought for you,

Sandy

Some of the fastest tops I have pieced are designed by a friend, here is her website. I asked her about using her patterns to make quilts for sale, copyright etc, and she replied as long as she is given credit on the sales tag, it is fine with her.

Here is her website http://lovethefabric.com/patterns.php, and she can be contacted through the site for validation.

The Lightening Fast top can be pieced in four-six hours, and I have seen some that are absolutely stunning, borders can make a difference. They are so popular in this area, that I probably quilt three per month.

Stephanie

Archived