Exciting news- Need suggestions

I have been invited to participate in two huge juried Arts and Crafts show/sales here in Tennessee. One is in the last weekend of August. The other is the first weekend of October. I have 4 or 5 nice quilts here to take, but I need some ideas for quick to sew tops that I can put nice quilting on and sell for reasonable rates.

The one gal told me on the phone that previous quilters at her show have sold quilts for as much as $2,000, but that most shoppers spend about $250-$300. So, I need to make a bunch of quick tops and quilt them to sell in this price range.

Right now I am working on a butterfly applique quilt set with alternate plain blocks, 2" sashing strips, etc. I have been quilting it for days. I have used almost a whole cone of soFine on it so far, and I'm not done. I'm doing feathers in the sashings and borders, mini McTavishing behind the butterflies, and trapunto feathered hearts in the plain squares with mini McTavishing to fill the interior of the heart and behind the heart. The quilt measured 92x94 when I put it on the frame. I'm hoping it doesn't shrink up too much.

I have NO IDEA how much to charge for this quilt. I have about 16 or 18 hours of QUILTING time in it right now, not to mention the piecing and stuff.

How do you figure costs on quilts that you want to sell?

I have fallen in love with Prarie Path by Kansas Troubles Quilters, a jelly roll project (Moda). I used my batiks and cut one 2 1/2 inch strip off several dark and several light pieces and the finished project took my breath away. Be sure to use a slightly contrast piece for all the "red" pieces. ( I used pink batik in a blue quilt) It is so fast, so easy and so impressive. It can be quilted quite quickly with pantos or CL giants. I also skipped the borders on my Batik quilt and added just one 5 inch border. That makes the project go much faster. Hope that helps you.

I did craft fairs for a few years..my best sellers in the fall besides quilts were runners with pieced apples, leaves and also dont forget about christmas season..snowmen etc. The fall shows were always the best because people love to decorate for fall and christmas, and no it isnt to early to do holiday things. Besides runners, table cloth sizes went very well too. they would be small enough to show off your quilting and you would get a bunch done. The smaller items add up fast in sales because you are covering the customer with a smaller budget..good luck

Teresa are you looking for something simple fast or elegant fast?

Simple fast I turn to either the "Twenty something" quilts or "Yellowbrick Road" you can do either elegant quiting or simple quilting on either of these, and have the tops done in a good afternoon large lap size.

Elegant yet simple I find are triple irish chains, all depends on the elegants of the fabrics and the quilting...yet fairly fast to sew as long as you aren't trying for a huge king size quilt.

Congrates and Good luck.....hope all works well for you.

Teresaa, Congratulations this is wonderful news. God has such a way of blessing us. I think all of the suggestions above are wonderful. At a show and tell at our Quilting Party on Wednesday one fo the ladies had a beautiful scrappy quilt made from a pattern in the Split 9 patch book? I had not heard of this, but it was very beautiful and she said extreemly easy and quick. I think the idea of table runners, matching aprons, or something like that for people who are on a budget that want to give home made gifts is a good one, or how about loading some material, quilting it up, and then cutting it out for stockings? You are so creative, I know you will have lots of wonderful things to sell. Keep us informed.

Oh Teresa, I have been wondering where you've been hiding lately...away from the chat board... now I know what you've been up to!!! :)

So happy to learn this good news for you. Yaaay!

Everyone gave you great suggestions. The Turning 20 blocks are really big (three parts to each block), so you could focus on a special freehand quilt motif in each section of the block to really WOW it up with your gorgeous quilting skills to show everyone you've got it going on! Instead of making 20 blocks in the quilt, you could do 16 or 12 for lap or baby size.

The Irish chain quilts are really gorgeous too. I like the Christmas/Autumn season ideas (door decorations, bell pulls, table toppers). People eat that seasonal decor stuff up and it will sell like hot cakes.

Here's an idea that I am doing for my little wallhangings/table toppers to sell to the tourists who visit here: I've been making table toppers and adding an extra wide sashing (essentially doubling the size of the outer border of the table topper) in between all of the table toppers and piecing all of these table toppers together into one giant quilt, then I am quilting them with a panto or I am doing freehand background fillers, and when done quilting the big top, I am rotary cutting down the middle of each sashing (the outer border of the table topper) and viola! I have a bunch of little table toppers all ready to bind. :) You could do that, it would save time, too. I think table toppers would easily sell between $50 and $80, depending on details and work involved.

You could have a variety of quilts/sizes with varying prices, that way you have something for everyone.

Best wishes to you, Teresa!!!

Shana

Shana, Great idea! I do a similar with "cheater" cloth with 'nursery' style

prints (Sunbonnet Sue, etc.) Quilt it and then cut it into quarters and put on binding and I have 4 baby quilts to give to charity. Other fabrics would make a nice "wheel chair size" piece for nursing homes, etc. and alot easier than trying to mount each little piece to quilt.

Teresa!

What wonderful news! I know how much you have struggled trying to establish business and almost gave up and sold your machine at one time.

It does my heart good to read about this opportunity that has presented itself to you.

I don't have any suggestions, but I am sending my thoughts and prayers your way that this venture is a huge success!

Sorry I am going to sound like a party pooper, I am really trying to make sure this turns out to be a great oportunity and doesn't land you in trouble or out of pocket.

Are you allowed to make quilts for sale from the commercial patterns you are considering? A lot do not allow you to do this at all with others restricting the number you can make. If in doubt it is well worth checking before going ahead.

Can you adtualy make a profit on the cheap quilts? Don't forget you need to add up your materials, (don't forget thread) consumables (needles and rotary blades) and over heads. Also add in payment for your shopping time, making time and selling time. Anything after those are all payed is profit.

I know in the UK there is no way I could make a bed quilt for 200-300. Maybe things are enough cheaper there that you can. Only you can answer that.

I have made wall hangings, book covers and cushions all are cheaper and sell fairly well, but have very low profit margins on them.

Hope this does turn out to be a huge success.

Ferret

I missed that you asked how we figure the cost of quilt we are going to sell, here goes

Cost of fabric and wadding + 25% to cover shopping time and costs

Piecing is hourly rate, I do use a clock but I can guess pretty well + 5% overheads

Quilting is charged as though it was a customers quilt

If I am then planning to sell it (rather than a commission) I would like to be able to add 20% profit to this, but I can't always do that at the moment and expect to sell it.

My last commision quilt was a single (twin?) and cost 450 GBP bear in mind that fabric over here is about $20 per meter and wadding is $16 for 96" wide. It adds up pretty quickly.

Hope that helps

Ferret

Ferret, you are very correct about selling end products using someone else's pattern or design. Copyright. One definitely needs to get permission first on quantity allowed to sell if using someone else's pattern. However, standard blocks such as Irish chain or nine patch, etc. probably fall into the public domain category. She could make her own pattern or design and quilt those for sale, I think. Your thoughts?

Hi Theresa,

Congratulations! Go for it! I like the ideas that you have already been given and Shana's idea of loading, quilting and then cutting the table runners apart sounds very creative and certainly faster than doing each individually.

This morning I just read about someone making fast quilts using a pattern called the Disappearing 9 Patch. Essentially, you make a 9-Patch, the X is the dark and the + is the light (I hope that description is coming over OK). Each square is 4" cut size, so your block would be 11" with the outer edges still keeping their 1/4" seam allowance on them, but if the blocks were sewn together they would be 10 1/2 " blocks. Does this make sense? Next you cut each individual 9 patch block into quarters in the + direction (cut from the top to the bottom and then from left to right). These new blocks would each be 5 1/2"and you now have 4 pieces. Turn two of the blocks around and then sew them back together.

This gives an interesting look to the overall quilt, and it no longer looks like a 9 Patch - it disappeared! I am about to try this with some baby fabrics I have around here and do it as a scrappy quilt.

Anyway, good luck, Theresa.

Sandy

I take 2 yards of "pillow panel" fabric add a 5 inch border around join 3 or 4 together witha a very small seam. only install once and have 3 or four.I call these "couch rags" sell for 60-80 $ each. I pick a simple wishbone that looks good any way it is turned.

I have one of these quilts here to be quilted. It's done in all Batiks and is absolutely gorgeous. She put no border on it. I love it. Also I quilted a quilt with scrappy nine patches and snowball blocks. It was a really neat and simple quilt. It leaves so much room for different kinds of quilting. Goodluck

Kelly

Mille owner

I've seen discussions that the author of the Turning Twenty pattern will not allow the quilts to be sold. I don't know about the Yellow Brick road pattern.

Your best bet is to do a quilt from public domain patterns. I find the log cabins quilts, trip around the world, irish chain, anything that you are putting strips together then cutting and putting together go quite fast and can be beautiful. The large Carpenters Star pattern goes together quickly. Here's a link to a "4 Hour Quilt" using the Carpenters Star http://www.quiltfrog.com/fourhourquiltclass.html

Congratulations on this opportunity and good luck!

Judy in MO

I'm with Judy on the issue of selling quilts from patterns. There are so many wonderful - and quick/easy - blocks out there that are public domain and you don't have to be concerned about the copyright issue. Go with those patterns in beautiful colors and your outstanding quilting skills. Just PLEASE don't give your work away. Pricing is the toughest decision, but consider your costs and your precious time - and price accordingly.

Good luck - I hope you have great success at this show!

Joann

Independence, MO

George

I have done several of these types of shows, and here the thing that seems to go the fastest are wallhangings in the 15X15 to 40X40 range. Finshed I usually charge about .10-.15 cents an inch, more for the smaller onces. $100 to $150 is a comfortable price range for the clients here. I also take totes for about 40-60 dollars. I have only sold a small handful in the 300-500 range, but do get contacts for memory and t-shirt quilts. If you have a quilt like that, even if you have to borrow it from someone, take it as an example.

I have found that people that will spend 300 on "art" will not value quilting as much unless it's very artsy.......

Also have a few brochures for your quilting, you will attract every quilter there. They will want to look at your stuff to see how they could do the same thing. I saw a great sign once- "Sure, you could make one just like it. But will you?"

Teresa,

Congratulations!!!! You go girl! Good luck on this new phase in your career. Hope that all works out for you. Just remember to stop once in a while and breathe.

I was asked to have a booth at an upcoming quilt show in September. But so far I haven't been able to get anything together.

Please let us all know how it goes for you. I know that you will shine.

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting

Way to go Theresa,

I have been making Cheater Quilts in the Queen size range, put lofty batting and a nice backing on and finish them of with a complimentary panto. I sofar have sold 6 quilts at our local farmer's Market on saturdays. My Quilts sell for $330.00 and I make a bit of money on them, so i can buy more fabric to make more quilts.

At the moment I have a queen size hunter Star cheater on my frame and I am outlining all the stars with tiny stipple...looks great. Anyway this works great for me for the time being. Makes the payment on my machine.

Shana...I love your idea. Post some pics, would love to see your work

By the way....2 of my pieced quilts are off to Australia this morning, one went to New York, another is in Florida and I just sold a pieced one to a couple from Edmonton. My daughter said that if I keep going this way it keeps going this way i have to add ....and Staff behind my name.

I just love it all

Archived