Mitering Binding

After sewing the binding to the quilt and making the miter fold (sewing binding to 1/4" from right edge...stop...fold binding up to back of sewing machine...finger press the miter...fold binding back over miter and down right side of quilt...begin sewing 1/4" from top edge and side edge)...everything works out beautifully on THAT side; however, when I turn the quilt over to stitch down the binding, my miters do not lay flat and matchup (seem to have bulk). Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you!

Pat:(

Hi Pat,

I do the binding exactly like you except when I turn the corner, I start sewing at the top edge. Try that and see if you like it. Make sure that your fold at the top doesn't extend beyond the edge at all.

When you turn the binding, pay attention to where the thickest part is. Place your quilt on the table just like it came off of your sewing machine (with the binding facing you). You will see that when you turn the binding to the other side, the extra layers of fabric are to the left of your miter. On the other side of your quilt, when you form the miter you want the extra layers of fabric to fall to the right of the miter. Is that as clear as mud? :D Otherwise, all of the excess layers will be in the same place and will make things look funky.

Hope this helps.

While you all are on the subject. Can you, or do you, sew your binding on using your longarm, or your sewing machine? I was surfing some web sites the other day and found instruction on using the longarm. I had thought about it, but have never attempted it. Anyone out there ever done this?? If so, how did it work for you??

Hi, Mary Beth! I sew my binding on with the longarm while the quilt is still mounted if it is a utility or charity quilt. Otherwise, I take it off and do it on my sewing machine. It works out fine doing it on the longarm, depending on how much care one takes while putting it on ;). I have done it fairly well and I have done it fairly badly! I imagine it is also something that takes practice!

Hi Pat,

Yes, I do trim my quilt to the edge. I almost always cut my binding @ 2 1/2". 2 1/4" works if using a thin batting. I do French/double fold binding.

Mary Beth,

I always sew my binding on using my regular sewing machine. It is in a cabinet with a really large working surface so there is no problem working on a large quilt. I just feel like I have move control over what I am doing.

Pat,

I do everything the rest are doing EXEPT I do leave 1/4 inch of batting and backing inside the binding....if you are having a quilt judged they (the judges) will take marks off if the binding isn't full...also the sewing line from the front gives you a perfect measure for where the binding goes for the hand sewing part of the back. (Also if the binding is full the fabric won't wear out and fray as fast as an empty one will)

In getting to the corners if I have to much bulk there I do trim off just enough of the batting to be able to get the miter correct but its still full....also if I need to I will take a couple of extra stitches in the corner to make sure all lay as they should, sometimes they get stuborn and I have to really nail them down :P

Hope this also helps.

Bonnie

Thank you all for your responses...they really helped. In fact, I've never tried doing my binding on the longarm...always use sewing machine, not sure I would get it straight, even with the channel lock on (lol). I'll try keeping a little extra batting/backing on my next one and see how that works with fullness.

You've been wonderful...thank you!

Pat

Hi Pat and all, I put a binding on one of my own quilts this morning with my longarm...first time since I got my Liberty last August. I used the base and ruler as a 1/4 inch guide while doing the sides of the quilt and put my channel lock on when doing the top and bottom...went on like a breeze! I left about 6 inches on each end of the binding unfinished where they met and seamed the ends together and finished sewing it on on my short arm...worked great and will definitely be doing it that way in the future! Much easier than manipulating the big quilt around! :D Give it a try... ! Jule

Archived