Putting Millie on carpeting

Hello, friends! I have been a member of this forum for about 7-8 years, reading and learning a lot from all of you. I have not had as much opportunity to play on "The Beast" (my 1997 Millennium II) as I dreamed when I got her in 2015, but I should soon have the opportunity, and I was lucky enough to be able to take advantage of the Millie sale last month. I will receive my new Millie ("The Sequel") and 12 foot table with the hydraulic lift in the next few days. She will be set up in my carpeted studio (formerly known as the living room), and I want to know what I should and should not do to stabilize the table while protecting the carpet from deep holes.

The Sequel is replacing The Beast, which is on a 12 foot wooden table. In order to raise The Beast to the level I preferred as well as distribute the weight and prevent holes in the carpet, under each end of the table I have a 2x4x24" (3 stacked and glued together) into which I chipped out 1/4" impressions for the legs to fit into to prevent vibration causing it to walk off the 2x4 supports.

As it sits, the table top is 37.5" high and the belly bar is 44" high. I haven't checked, but have just assumed the new table will be able to adjust to that height without additional risers under the legs, so whatever I put down to protect the carpet does not need to be any particular thickness.

What are you using between your table legs and carpet? Is there something that is preferred and, especially, anything that is specifically NOT recommended? I will appreciate any information and input. Thanks and stay well and safe.

I see in the Millie manual (downloaded from website) the suggestion to put a patch of carpet and/or padding under the legs. I figure the carpet would be right side down, so the two plush surfaces kind of schmoosch into each other, and the leg sits on the firmer backing side of the carpet patch. Is that enough or does someone have another, perhaps heftier, suggestion?

The weight of these tables/machines will make indents in any carpet.  I would be concerned about using stacked 2x4 under the legs as it seems like it would wobble with the movement and vibration of the machine.  I have my machine on our carpet without anything under the legs.  I haven't moved the machine, but I am sure that there will be large indents in the carpet and pad.  It's just like having furniture on carpet... you get indents/marks from the furniture.  The only thing I might suggest you try is the plastic chair mats people use at desks for their roller chairs.  I wonder if that would work better for you?

Thanks for the reply, Laura. The desk mats is something to look at, so thanks. And it reminds me of the spiked plastic squares I've seen in the past for underneath couch or chair legs.

I know there will be marks in the carpet, not really worried about that, but the table set-up info says, "If your room has plush carpet and padding, the table’s weight may eventually break down the pad under the legs. You may want to place additional padding under the legs, just as you might under a heavy sofa." I just figure the vibration in the table when quilting is more than a couch that just sits there, so I want to do my best to protect from extra, actual damage.

ValarieJ;

You just need to spread the load over a larger surface area than the four table legs presently provide to protect your carpet and carpet pad underneath.

We say your table including Millie weighs in at 600 pounds.  If each leg has a 1-inch foot, this means that there is 150 pounds of weight on top of each leg.  With the vibration of of quilting, this weight over time can damage the carpet and pad.

All you have to do is spread the weight load over a larger surface area to protect the carpet.  You had to right idea with the 2x4s, but I believe that is overkill.

I would suggest you go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase a 2-foot by 2-foot piece of 3/4 plywood.  Have them cut the board down into four 1-foot by 1-foot squares.  Depending on the store, they normally will give you one or two free cuts.  Then cover both the top and bottom of the boards with carpet that matches your present floor.  Place the Millie table on top of the squares.  The 150-pound of weight under each foot is now spread out over 144 square inches, which reduces the weight to a little over a pound per square inch.  

Using 1/2 inch plywood and making the pads 6-inch by 6-inch would lower the tripping hazard as you walk around the table, and still do a good job of protecting your floors.  The military does the exact thing when they place plywood under the rolling stock wheels to protect the floors of the aircraft.  Think how much stress stiletto heels can put on a floor.

Best of luck with your project.  

Cagey

• 4 weeks later...

Cagey, thank you! That makes so much sense. (I apologize for the slow response. This is the first time I've been able to visit the forum since I posted. Life!....)

I will finally be setting up my new Millie tomorrow, so I will stop and get some plywood squares today. I already have extra carpeting. I feel much better about setting this up now. Thank you.