Ult II parts?

TracyC

I purchased my ULT II a few months ago but just began working with her in earnest today.

My husband and I have been giving her a thorough going over and we are looking at several issues.

One problem is speed control. There seems to be stalling/no "functioning" power at any setting under 3. By this I mean that you hear the motor and a buzz, but the needle does not move. Setting the speed at 5 and up is OK, but once I get going the thing will speed up on its own for no apparent reason and with no consistency.

My understanding is that the motor was replaced not long ago but I don't know if it is a good replacement. I've checked the APQS parts but there's no listing for a motor specifically for the ULT II.

Another issue is the tension disks. I'm wondering if they are worn or need replacing? We'll be quilting along ok and all of a sudden the tension disks seem to lock up on the thread. Is this something that can simply be cleaned (if so, how?) or should we replace? If so, do I need a whole new tension assembly and where do I get it?

Thanks for any help.

Tracy in New Mexico, USA

Hi Tracy,

I also own and operate an Ultimate II. "Rosie". There are many Ultimate II owners here on this forum. I see Sheri has come on line to help with your question.

In regards to your motor. Yes, there is a Ultimate II motor listed on page 6 of the APQS systems supply catalog. It retails for $79.00. It sounds more like you may need "motor brushes" maybe---Those are also listed on that page just below the motors.

I suspect however that your belt may be slipping and you may not need a motor---but, it wouldn't hurt to replace the motor brushes.

I never run my machine as low as a 3 in any case. Also, don't forget to warm up your machine before you start working. It really is not critical to do this---but, I find my Ultimate II operates much better if I run it for a few minutes with the bobbin out, and unthread the top during the warm up session.

I oil it well before I start the warm up session. Then I wind bobbins while the machine is running---so, I'm not just standing there waiting while it gets all oiled up.

I recently had the Intellistitch installed on my Ultimate II. Wow, what a difference. I love it! I have SheriB. new round free motion foot. Awesome! and I put Edgerider wheels on Rosie---like running on butter! Some upgrades you may want to consider at some future time.

You can see my Rosie in my PictureTrails image hosting site:

I enjoy posting pictures of Rosie as when I first found her, I had the hardest time finding any pictures of this model of APQS machine. I searched online and found just a few. Enjoy---I love my Ultimate II!

http://www.picturetrail.com/angiestuff

Hi Angie,

Thanks so much for taking time to write and offer such great info. I loved looking through your pictures...thanks so much for sharing.

I'm printing out your reply and tips so we can pursue those options. I've also ordered a catalog from APQS. I was just looking at their parts list online/webshop and it just listed motors for the Ult I and the Ult XX, but nothing for the Ult II. I'm sure the print catalog will be much more thorough and helpful. My DH is very good with electronics & taking things apart, fixing and putting back together so perhaps you are right. I'll have him inspect the motor brushes.

I have a list of goodies I want to buy (including Sheri's foot) for Calliope, but before I buy the extras I have promised myself I'm going to get the motor and (major) tension issues figured out. Once I have those things figured out and have a comfort/consistency zone, the new goodies will be GREAT! I just need to bite the bullet and spend the time figuring it all out.

I'm not quilting for hire...just making my own samples, testing threads and (eventually other longarm related products) and such. I'm sure if I were quilting for hire I'd probably be making much faster progress in figuring it all out! Still, I wish I could figure out a way to multiply the hours in a day.

LOL...anyway, it's supposed to be fun and I know I'll get there eventually.

Thanks again so much for all your help.

Tracy and Calliope (Ult II) in New Mexico

Also did you take off the top of your machine to check to see if the motor was set correctly....there is a screw inside under the speed control that can be adjusted....the screw should be set so that the motor is at least growling when on 1 and gets a bit faster with each number higher.

Does anyone know of any other "tall" 1/4" feet for the Ult II besides Gadget girls'? Someone mentioned Sheri B but I can't google anything up. Also what are edgerider wheels and where are they from? Looking for any upgrades for Ult II. Let me know what you've done please.

THANKS!

Originally posted by Bonnie

Also did you take off the top of your machine to check to see if the motor was set correctly....there is a screw inside under the speed control that can be adjusted....the screw should be set so that the motor is at least growling when on 1 and gets a bit faster with each number higher.

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for your note. Yes, we did do that. It just stays growling/buzzing even at a 3. Since the machine does not do a one-stitch, I like to have it at a very slow speed to get that first stitch in and pull up the bobbing thread. It's not a huge deal and I can work with as is...but if I can get her performing a little more responsively I'd like to do it now.

Thanks again!

Tracy in NM

Tracy,

Play with the screw so that you can reset the screw. It should be growling/buzzing as well as trying to move when on 1....and as you go to 2 it should be either starting to move either up or down ..by 3 three it should be moving very very slow. If this knob isn't set correctly it wouldn't make any difference how good or worn out the motor is.

Now....with that said...the other thing that could be wrong is that whom ever set it originally may have gotten the knob on a bit off and what you are seeing as 3 is really 1, when you turn go to turn it on full blast does it go past the last number? I had that happen the first time when I got my machine in 1997 the knob pin wasn't on straight once I fixed that all was well.

Sheri's website address is in her post just above these....The Gadget Girls foot is like you said a "TALL" foot, but it is not a 1/4 foot...you will be able to use with a few rulers, but you will not be able to use with the 1/4 rulers that are so popular today. The best bet is to purchase Sheri's foot it works wonders with the new rulers.

Edgerider wheels are a better wheel (in my opinion) than the brown wheels that come with our machines...there isn't any play in the slots and I get a smoother glide. You can get them from http://www.kmquiltingsupply.com/ or from Edgerider themselves at http://www.edgeriderwheels.com/ they are $160 per set.

Originally posted by ckeindl

Does anyone know of any other "tall" 1/4" feet for the Ult II besides Gadget girls'? Someone mentioned Sheri B but I can't google anything up. Also what are edgerider wheels and where are they from? Looking for any upgrades for Ult II. Let me know what you've done please.

THANKS!

Thanks Bonnie for the quick reply for me! I havent been lurking in all sites for a while, as i'm suffering from a severe, and i mean severe sinus infection. Swollen so bad in all cavities, that dr. put me on a steroid for 3 weeks, starting today. So, I'm not reading as many posts as i'd like to.

Also, for any of you new ULT II owners out there, please address any questions to my home e-mail:

jsbutler@neb.rr.com

I've had 100% sales/response and NO returns on this foot! Everyone is so satisfied...i'm speachless for the gratitude all the previous buyer's have had to say about this foot. Thank You All So Much!

Anyway...just e-mail me, either I or my hubby will respond as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

Archived