Machine Beading

I have a question about machine beading. I am having trouble with the beads staying on my handbags. When I handle the bags to put the bias on or zippers in the beads come loose. I use Monofilament thread in the machine bobbin and in the top. The problem is, a bead or 2 keeps falling off. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to keep the little buggers on the bags, not one the floor?:P

Hi Sandy!

Well, because I have not beaded anything with a sewing machine before, I really truly do not know the answer to your question, but I am going to wing it and take a wild guess on a possible solution. I am also assuming you are curious about beading on your domestic sewing machine, and not attempting to do beading on the longarm;that sounds scary and dangerous.

Perhaps you can use some type of interfacing underneath the fabric to help stablize it (and the thread you are using to stitch on the beads) and maybe (just maybe) this will help keep the monofilament from slipping so much?

Anyway, like I said, I may be sounding like a big dummy here, but as most folks here on the chat know me pretty well by now and they can attest to my big dumminess... ;)

I learned (and of course, forgot it) a method for attaching beads with my serger. It was part of a Babylock weekend long class I took about 2 years ago. Perhaps if you go to www.babylock.com you could find out some information on how they suggest doing it. I think the beads were threaded and then you serge with a certain beading foot, and also don't use the cutting blade while doing this.

Good luck with your project.

Sandy

I have not heard of beading on a longarm and I'm with Bonnie...I would be dangerous! I have played just a touch with this on my sewing machine...I prefer hand beading. On the machine I think the key is to pull all your thread tails to the back and tie them off. Mono thead is really slippery and unless you do a good knot it will come undone.

Heidi

I remember taking a class at MQX in 2006 that had a teacher (sorry don't remember her name) giving instructions on how to do it with a regular sewing machine.....she also had done a segement on "Simply Quilts" the year before, which I also watched. MAybe you can go back into the "Simply Quilts" archieves and find it...she also had a front cover of a flower on one of the magazines that year as well with tons of bead work on it....I believe it was American Patchwork, but then it could have been McCalls Quilting as well.

She would take a very LONG pair of tweezers and hold the bead down with that, set the needle in the hole and do several zig zag stitches over one side of the bead...the zig zag would tie a knot behind the bead and it would be secure....after she was finished she would dab each knot on the back with "FRAY CHEK" and let it dry before any hand washing was done. She said it being put into the washing machine would break the beads off and you would have lost all your work, and if they didn't break off some beads just aren't color fast and you would just have clear beads if machine washed. I believe she was using a regular thread not a mono or poly-mono.

I still can't see how anyone would be using their LA for this. There is just to much speed and you would have to know where your needle was going to hit even with the tweezers...I just see beads and needles getting broken and maybe a good pair of tweezers getting doogies punched out of the side....

Pam,

Thanks for sharing. I think that Nancy Zieman did this same technique at some point. It looks time consuming to me, at least as time consuming as regular hand beading. I made a wedding dress last summer and I don't remember how many beads I hand sewed on it. It had beads all around the neck line and arm holes and then if that wasn't enough I decided that the veil needed beads stitch on both the blusher and the veil...lots and lots of beads but the bride loved it! She is my Godchild and the last time I sewed for her she was 2 and was my flower girl! It was a really special honor to be able to sew her wedding dress and we had so much fun! I'm trying to convince my daughter to let me sew her dress and she keeps saying, "We'll see." No wedding date yet but she is engaged.

Heidi

Archived