Wheels

I have been having a bit of a time lately with my machine in stitch regulator mode. I can't seem to do smooth curves. They get a bit square or bumpy. Last night I checked to be sure my table is level. DH used a transit level to get it as level as anyone could get it. The table is set the same distance apart down it's length and then I took a close look at the wheels. I've loosened up the bottom wheels so they are set according to the manual. I tightened the top wheels according to the manual and the machine seems to move more smoothly. Any other advice for me? I will be practicing with the new settings this morning.

I'm up to my 30 something quilts so I feel like I should be getting better with my control, not worse.

Are there any other things I need to know about my LA wheels? (or any other suggestions, ideas?) Any maintenance needed, besides checking for threads and dusting them off? I keep my machine very clean. I have the black composite wheels, my machine is a Millie 7 months new to me.

TIA,

Under APQS help there is a discussion on wheel adjustment which is incredibly helpful. The picture is great as to how the wheels look when properly aligned on the track.

I find that when I am quilting curves I am smoother when I am not in S/R mode. I could just be weird, but I find it easier to move the machine.

Cheryl

Judy,

Make sure that after you've adjusted the wheels, that they stay in the new position. Sometimes the gold bolt that passes through the wheel from the underside and into the adjusting cam can wiggle loose. This means that after you rotate the adjusting cam to the setting you think you want, the machine's movements can cause the adjusting cam to jiggle back to its original location.

After you've moved the cams into position (sight along the rail for each wheel and make sure the wheel is resting on its lip over the rail--the rail should not be all the way into the "groove" of the wheel) then check the gold bolt from underneath and make sure it is still tight.

Other things that can make curves difficult if it is not a "mechanical issue" are:

[*] moving the machine too slowly to get a consistent flow

[*] having the fabric too tight, creating drag on the hopping foot

[*] having the hopping foot set too low (when the needle is in the lowest position, you should be able to slide a business card under the foot-with no fabric in place)

[*] hand position on the handles. If you are gripping the ergonomic handles like an old 10-speed bike, with your hands up near the controls and your thumb wrapped around and under the bar, your elbows are forced to stay near your body. This makes it difficult to get the fluid, circular motion you need to make smooth curves. The photo attached shows a different hand position that allows your elbows to freely leave the side of your body, making it easier to make curves and circles.

[*] developing enough muscle coordination so that both your left and right hands work together, instead of fighting each other. Initially, it is difficult to get your dominant hand to allow the other to work with it; running the machine is like working an Etch-a-Sketch toy--it wants to easily go forward and back, and left and right, but both hands have to cooperate to make smooth curves. In addition, the stitch regulator creates a percieved "drag" that takes a little time to get used to.

Let us know if things get any smoother!

Dawn

handle position.doc

Fabulous advice Dawn...........I find it easier to move the machine w/o the SR on when doing some things. Such as pebbles, stones or small work. I have better control.

I too have had some very frustrating challenges with my SR. After lots of work and phone calls to Amy and John at APQS I've been able to get my machine running smoothly once again.

As Dawn said, once I adjusted my wheels I checked the ones under the wheel, they were very loose. Now that I've tightened those my wheels have kept the adjustment necessary for a smooth drive.

Clean wheels are important as well.

Thanks Dawn, Cheryl and Tish. I do grip the handles like a bicycle, so I will work on that. I found the machine a lot easier to use today with the wheels a little looser. I don't know why I waited so long to adjust them. I followed the manual and tightened the gold bolts also. It was so easy to do!

Tish, you brought another question to my mind. How do you clean the wheels?

While I was in a "go for it" mode I also raised the table a bit. It made a huge difference. Huge.

Thanks everyone.

Judy

I've been working with the new handle position as Dawn suggested since it was written up in the new manual. I've been quilting for 10yrs so for me it was probably a little harder to get used to but its definitely worth persevering with as, once you get used to it, guiding the machine where you want it to go is so much easier and more relaxed.

Dawn, your etch a sketch comment made so much sense.

Sue in Australia

To clean the wheels themselves you can use a Q-tip with some alcohol....

For the other part of the wheel I use a scrap piece of fabric that has a small amount of batting in it, fold over the edged so there isn't any loose thread showing, wrap it around the wheels ( like putting a towl around your neck and holding it with your hands) and move the machine either back n forth or up n down.........you will be amazed at how much black comes off.

Happy cleaning! ;);)

Tish

Judy, when I clean my rails I also put my baby wipe (yep I use those to clean) on the rail and then run my wheels over them a few times to get the black off. I also sometimes take a q-tip and alcohol to them.

Dawn thanks for all your advice. I too am having the square feathers and swirlys all of a sudden and thought I had checked everything, but did not check the gold bolts,will do that tonight after work.

Judy was raising the front bar hard.

Bekah,

We raised my table up 1 1/2 inches. We did this temporarily, using some 2/4 wood pieces (DH is a carpenter, LOL). He wanted me to try the new height before we raised the metal feet. I like the new height, what a huge difference it makes. I can see from the front now. Quilting from the back is easier on MY back now too. I am just sorry I was afraid to mess with things before. My machine is gliding so smoothly now. I am practicing with a pantograph called Flypaper. It has many ins and outs so is a good choice for a test drive. I am so happy!

Archived