Warming up

Hi all. As a new owner, I was just wondering to we have to run the machine to warm it up for a period before staring to quilt. I wasn't given this info and can't find anything in the notes/books that I have. I know of some other machines that have an auto warm up mode. Thanks.

Welcome Vanessa,

My studio heat is kept at 65 degrees when I am not out there, so I warm up the machine right after oiling the bobbin area. I don't know if our machines actually need a warm-up but the needle up/down is a bit sluggish at the start if I don't. Have fun with you new addition!

I agree with Linda it depends on where you live and how warm it is in your studio. During the winter months I always warm up even my simple no bells and whisles machine. SO I would also guess it would depend if where you are in Australia as to that being an issue...if you are in the hotter part and it is a constant and not getting cold or hot you shouldn't need to worry about that step.

I usually turn my machine on at the wall outlet about 15 minutes before I start quilting. I have a scrap piece of fabric that I pin to the rollers and I run off the excess oil after oiling my bobbin case and do a little freehand at this time - warms up the machine and me at the same time - also thread the machine with the thread you are about to use next and test the tension. I think warming the machine up is even more important if you CQ attached too.

Sue in Australia

The "warming up" is really because you have metal, mechanical parts that are lubricated. Think of starting a car when it is really cold out vs. starting that same car on a warm day. It takes a bit for the metal parts and the lubrication to "hum" and work as designed. The colder your sewing area, the more of a need to "warm up" a little bit.

Jill Kerekes

This is true Jill, but if you live in a place or county were the temp is a steady 75-80 year around and it doesn't get below that, would you then warm up your car? I only warm up my machine if its gotten cold like say 45 and then I warm up the room first and then the machine.

I'm wondering if Mark or Amy will jump in here....what is the official answer here? When do we need to do this and which machine is it needed for or are not?

This is all great info. My studio can be really chilly in our winter, and our summer isn't as long as our winter, and our weather here can be very up and down, so I'm sure that I will be warming up from now on. The old owner told me she never warmed it up before use, but I'm now glad I put this question out to you all. Thanks.

If I don't warm up my machine, it runs very slow...No matter what, I have to adjust my #8 screw almost every time I use this thing....only when the weather changes. It will go for a long time running just fine...but if it rains or the tempratures drop...you can bet I will be adjusting and readjusting that #8 screw...I don't even keep screw in the "hood" any more, so I can lift it more easily.

Archived