Bobbin thread not being pulled up to top

boppinbrandy

I'm having problems with the bobbin thread. When I try to pull the bobbin thread up to the top of the quilt, the top thread doesn't catch it. It's almost like the needle isn't going down far enough. When it does finally catch, and I do get it up to the top, I start stitching and my thread breaks and if I am able to start quilting, I get a skipped stitch and sometimes loops on the bottom of the quilt. Here is what I already have done...

1.) changed needles twice

2.) cleaned all wheels

3.) re-threaded machine & changed bobbin (prewound)

4.) checked timing...looks okay to me

Any other ideas before I crawl in a corner and start crying?

I feel for you, sister! I\'ve spent some time in that corner myself...

I know you checked the timing - have you checked the front/back position of the needle, as well? Seems like maybe the hook isn\'t quite catching the top thread from behind the needle.

Hope someone with more knowledge chimes in soon!

Three things to try:

Prewound bobbins are either cardboard or plastic. If cardboard, the sides sometimes get crimped just enough to throw off the stitch process. The bobbin will run fine without the cardboard. Peel it off and don\'t leave anything behind near the center. If it\'s a plastic bobbin, alas, I\'m so sorry. Hate those.

Loops on the bottom tells me that the tension on the top is bad. Make sure that the thread is between the tension disks, not riding on the outside. Yeah, took me two weeks to figure that one out. Duh!

Pull your bobbin out. Blow the case out with air. Make sure that the 2 fingers on the spring inside the bobbin case are slightly raised. Look under the flip-up dooron the case. Sometimes bits of thread or goo get stuck in there. Clean the inside of the bobbin case with alcohol & a Q-Tip. Leave the bobbin case out for this next part. Now look inside the hook area. Using the freewheel, slowly turn it while looking at the empty bobbin area. As you turn it watch for an opening in the back of the bobbin area. You can only see it when turning slowly. Stuff gets stuck back there and flies around inside dropping in at odd times to screw up the bobbin. Use that alcohol Q-Tip to get thru that hole and clean it. Once clean, give the bobbin area a drop or two of oil and run it around (on manual) for 30 seconds or so. If this works, send Dawn Cavanaugh a nice email; I learned this one from her.

One more thing to check is the depth of the needle. Use the handwheel to lower the needle as far as it will go. With the bobbin case removed and looking straight into the bobbin area, you should be able to see the eye of the needle. If you cannot , the needle bar may need to be lowered. The maintenance manual will show you how much of the eye should be visible. If you jammed a needle, the bar may be pushed up slightly and this adjustment may fix the problem. The manual shows how to lower the needle bar. (Also, check that the needle is inserted as far up into the needle bar as possible.) Good luck and let us know what the final fix was.

Archived