Where do I find a fuse?

This weekend I was quilting away and the machine just stopped. After much stress and searching I find that my fuse had blown (mine and the machine's). Where do I find one of these little fuses. Don't find them on the list of accessories or parts for APQS. I have the spare in but now need to replace the spare. If this has already been posted I do apologize but I'm a newbie. Thanks for any help you can give me.

pat werner

Hi Pat,

I see 25 people have read your post and no one has replied. :(

You can get more fuses at Radio Shack. Just take in the old one to get the right size.

BEFORE you replace the fuse again tho', you need to figure out what's causing it to blow. One of my customer's was having it blow every time her husband was on the treadmill upstairs! Turns out both the machine and the treadmill were on the same circuit. A call to the electrician fixed the problem.

I think APQS is ahead of the game for putting fuses in the machine and even providing a spare. I know some other machine brand owners are constantly blowing circuit boards because of power surges.

Kudos to APQS for thinking ahead! :)

Yesterday I was quilting away and I came to a rather thick seam. It was not an overly thick seam, and I had quilted over other similar seams many times with no problem. This time, the machine gave a beep and died. After a couple panicky hours, I decided to watch the maintenance video part about electronics and see if it told me anything. Sure enough, it told me to change my fuse. So I did that, no problem, and it fixed it. Now I'm curious, do these machines often die when faced with a thick seam? Is this something I need to worry about??

Hi Lynn,

I've done MANY heavy denim & corduroy quilts with very thick seams. At the time I was doing only pattern quilting from the back of the machine, so never paid any attention to where the thick seams were. I never had a problem and have never blown a fuse. I've never heard of anyone else blowing a fuse over a thick seam either.

I think a call to Connie is your best bet.

Darlene, thanks for the reply!! I'm really glad to know that I don't have to worry about thick seams, because until this point, I hadn't been! I thought maybe I should have been! But when I went home at lunch and was quilting, I discovered my problem was the needle. I thought it seemed like it might be dull, so I went to change it. When I took it out, I don't know if it was dull or not, but the tip-end of it was bent into a tiny hook, so that when it went to try to poke through the thick seam yesterday, of course it couldn't do it, the machine locked up and blew the fuse. Does this make sense to you?? I think that is what happened. I had never had problems going over seams before, and I hated to think that I would have to now start thinking about where the seams were!!

Hi Lynn,

I'm so thankful that APQS cares enough to design the machine with a fuse that will blow with an overload, rather than the whole mother board blowing! Not all machine brands have this protection, and it's just one more way that APQS looks out for us and our investment.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Yesterday I blew my fuse, that is my millie did. Sure glad that there was a replacement in storage in the machine. I guess I didn't tighten my needle enough as it fell out causing the fuse to blow. Was I glad that I didn't have to retime the machine.

Well, anyways, got me thinking, what other things should I have on hand for replacement, besides the fuses?

I see there are a ton of things you could order from APQS, but what if any of them do I need?

Thanks,

Charlene

Hi Charlene

The things that I like to have on hand are a dozen or so "Pig-Tails" (they are the curly thread guides)

a couple of bobbin cases, extra metal bobbins, & of course plenty of needles! ;)

It can mean down time by not having the necessary parts, & worth their weight in GOLD! :D

Thanks Linda,

I had ordered an extra bobbin case and have lots of bobbins. Fortunately my short arm also used "L" bobbins so just used them.

Pig Tails, now that I will add to my list to obtain. Do they get grooves in them from the thread or what can go wrong with them?

Thanks,

Charlene

Pig tail thread guides are very inexpensive to keep on hand, but you should be buffing them out every few months anyway. Get some emery cloth or sanding cord and just buff out any little grooves. If you use the clear nylon or polyester thread a lot, you WILL get grooves in the pig tails.

I had my first machine, an Ultimate 1 for almost 3 years before I had a serious problem. I didn't know anything about "buffing", so just loosened the screw and turned the pig tail upside down. I'm sure they worked for another 3 years for the new owner! LOL

Archived