Help newbie with pricing please!

First quilt for a customer...flannel, plain back, brick pattern, thermore 100% slick/hollow polyester fiber bat (which looks nice but was very thin). Customer wanted it quilted with "Xs" in the bricks. It turned out okay! I didn't breathe while I quilted--you know how it is --especially the first one! My questions is about whether this quilting is considered allover edge-to-edge (about .012 sq in this area) - or custom starting at about .015 in this area. I used the Hartley extended base and small ruler to go edge to edge..left to right. If you can give me some insight as to what this quilting would be considered it would sure help. And if you're near Chillicothe OH and haven't signed up for Myrna Ficken's classes at Creations Sew Clever in February 08--you should! Myrna I can hardly wait! Jane Michener Waynesville OH

Outstanding quilting! And that is your first customer quilt? Wow!

Here\'s my take on pricing--if I have to have a ruler in my hand for anything, it starts at .02-----

and I do mean STARTS! That may look like edge-to-edge, but it took lots of time and good technique!

If they wanted a cheaper technique, I would have done a squiggle X in those blocks--much quicker,

of course, and accuracy can be fudged a little.

That would have been .015 in my neck of the woods.

Just my .015 cents worth!

You do great work!

Did you keep track of how much time that took? That looks like it took a long time. I\'d charge more than .015 for sure! At LEAST .02 or more, I think. I haven\'t done something like that treatment, but anything with a lot of ruler work with me is at least in the .03 range---but it is dependent on how long it takes me to do it.

Jill Kerekes

Jane,

I had replied to this but must have forgotten to hit post reply...lol it has been on of those days.

Here is my .02 worth! She asked for you to do something specific to each block...in my book that is custom Edge - to - edge would be something that didn\'t take into consideration the blocks at all.

I love the way this turned out. Great job with the ruler!

Heidi

Thank you all for your advice! It not only is helpful in figuring the price to charge...but it sure boosted my morale! I had just finished a quilt for myself that looks great on top, (considering my lack of experience!!) but in spite of all kinds of tension adjustments...there are still places on the back where there are almost loops--it\'s not consistently bad--and most of it is fine. It shows up more because I used a variegated thread...but had it been a customer\'s quilt I would still be trying to get it quilted--froggin\' more than quiltin!

post--13461898739323_thumb.jpg

Archived