How to echo circles when the piecing is not perfect

My customer wants me to echo quilt her pieced circles, 1/4" inside and outside. I have a Hartley Fence and Myrna's book, and have successfully done circles with them. However - the customer's circles are not perfect - as much as 1/2" variation in diameter.

I think it won't look very good. I want to have some alternative suggestions ready when I call her. Ideas? It's a Drunkard's Path square (I think that's the name), arranged in circles (each square has a quarter circle, and when grouped, form a circle). I've thought about moving the circles maybe 1" out from the edge vs 1/4", and that way the difference isn't so visible.

Other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Julia

Hi Julia,

You might suggest something more angular or geometric to complement the circles. Depending on the fabric you might make the circles in the quilt into flowers. make spikes around them. A wavy line along the edge always looks good IMO. Perhaps you could do little pebbles in varying sizes around the outside to even things out.

Myrna

I don\'t think I\'d even call her...Just do a bigger circle about 1" - 1 1/2" like you say and for the 1/4" inside...do something wavy. Just call her after the fact and tell her you \'experimented\' and found a design you KNOW she\'s just going to love. When she comes to pick it up, you might show her some of the discrepancies...Some people have an awful time with circles.. and they are my favorite thing...anything with a curve! good luck. ML

Archived