Breaking Thread

I am at my wits end. Again I am wondering what possessed me to start machine quilting....:(

I finished a quilt that was completely crosshatched - no problems - life was good.

I started a new quilt for a new customer...The quilts I admired at MQS in KC were all done in Superior thread and I have used So Fine before so that was my choice. (#50/3, Tex 25, color #403). After quilting about a 12" square and breaking my thread about 18 times, (don't remember if it work for me last time),I decided enough of that. I took out all of my stitching and started again with 100% cotton, Signature, (Tex 40, ivory). I changed needles and tried to position it just so, (MR4.0). Cleaned the lint from the bobbin area and any place else I thought needed it. I have been working on this row, (the first row), since Sunday at noonish, quitting around 4 pm, then again at 5 pm today until this moment, 8:45 pm. I am almost to the end of my first row, and it has only taken 8 hours. My thread either breaks or skips stitches. I have done everything I can think of including adjusting top and bobbin tensions. I have read all the information I have and short of re-timing I think I have done everything....oh yes, and I spritzed the thread with water. Tonight it goes in the freezer.

I called the customer tonight to find out what kind of batting she is using and she tells me it is Warm and Natural - 100% cotton. I have never used this type of batting before and it really feels like a poly....no scrim, etc.

I am sure this subject has come up several times and I am sorry if it is an old song....but this is crazy. I really don't think I should have tension problems every time I go to new quilt. Help:mad:

Hi Mary Beth,

Sometimes, it's just frustrating isn't it?! I've had to put on my Sherlock Holmes hat more than once and often find that it's just some little thing I hadn't thought of.

Please call Connie. She'll be able to ask the right questions to narrow down the possibilities of what is wrong. She has more experience that any of the rest of us, because she talks to so many people, and is up close & personal with these machines all day long. She may think of something that will be a quick fix for you.

The first thing I do when thread starts to break is to pull the thread out and completely re-thread the machine. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Hi, Mary Beth! Another thought is either the batting or the fabric. I have had some fabric that just will not sew without breaking the thread; some material obviously felt yucky and would even cause the thread to break quilting it on my DSM. Other material felt fine, but would still give me some breakage. My machine would quilt fine before doing these certain quilts and would quilt fine after doing these certain quilts. If you quilted fine on the quilt before this one, it might be that the machine for whatever reason doesn't like the material or batting. You could put a practice piece on and quilt the same thing you were quilting on the real quilt and see if it still breaks. Then you would have a good idea if it was the machine or not. Are you doing a panto? I've found that it breaks worse when doing a panto. Try putting a bit of batting in the thread guide above the cone which helps the thread to feed smoother and may or may not help. Try going slower. If your machine worked fine for the quilt before, I think it might not be a problem with your machine other than maybe it doesn't like the material or batting. There's also some sort of silicone spray that you can spray on the thread that may help it, but I've never tried it so don't know. Of course, I'm far from an expert, but it's something to think about.

Good morning all!

I had the day from Hell yesterday and I could use some kind words from all....

Between thread breaking( King tut with pre-wound in bobbin),and tension being fine for 5 to 10 minutes and then going haywire, I'm ready to scream!!! AAAHHHHGGGG! Ah, I feel better already....maybe!;)

Well hells bells girls! I am so sorry to hear of your troubles and hope you find the solution soon. Please know that VERY often the culprit could be a very nasty batch of naughty needles. open a new package and make sure you rule out any burrs along the thread path and even in the needle plate itself. Thread woes are not the norm for our wonderful machines! Best of luck, please keep us informed of your progress.

Okay, I think I have figured this out. I think the problem is the fabric. I have made all the adjustments I can possibly make, the thread is not breaking as much but I am paying closer attention. The quilt border and the border around the 12 blocks is a pink floral on a black background, around each flower is a gold outline. Everytime I hit that fabric I break my thread. :mad:The tread breaks occasionally on the other fabrics too, but mostly on the floral.

Now here is the clencher...as if I have not had enough problems with this silly quilt, today I hit something while quilting. I stopped and ran my hand across the quilt top and low and behold my seam ripper was stitched into the quilt!! :mad: I must have layed it down on the batting behind the top roller. I broke the tip off in the quilt, not sure I can get it out because of this goofy batting, but I'm off to look through the house for a stong magnet. Did I mention that it is Monday all day!!:P

Mary Beth...

I hope this makes you feel better..........because of your experience with your quilted-in seam-ripper you have probably saved a lot of us from the same thing because I know that after reading your note that I will never put anything down on the batting again!!! Maybe this is what is meant by "sacrificing yourself for the good of the team"!!! :P

Thank you and have a great day!!! Sandra

I don't think I have ever had a bright idea before - glad I could help anyone and everyone ;) The batting in this quilt is Warm and Natural, which I have never used but I read where several people do, so I am guessing it is good. It picks apart very easily and if my machine is pushed to the side while I am rolling the quilt, my hopping foot get bogged down in the batting. That tip on that seam ripper is buried in the batting. I have no idea what to do. I tried working it out, but ended up working it in....I'm thinking an apron with pockets is a very good idea. I am always looking for my seam ripper (not today), and my flashlight - an apron would be good. I know I will have to tell the customer, although I have thought about it all day and at one point just decided to ignore it and if it works itself out I could play dumb.:cool:

Oh, about the timing. I was afraid of that too. In fact I didn't want to start the machine again because I was so afraid...but she is purring like a kitten. No problems at all - I was shocked.

Archived