bobbin washers

For those of you who are thinking about the little genie magic bobbin washers:

I saw them on some website and showed it to my husband, who took me by the hand to my local Ace hardware store. For $.20 each I bought several Mylar washers that perfectly fit inside the bobbin case for my Bernina. So far the bobbin washer works fine. I haven\'t done any stippling with it yet, but just doing paper piecing all day I haven\'t had a single snarl from the bobbin thread. At 20¢ apiece it\'s cheaper than $9.95 plus shipping for a dozen from a website.

And speaking of bobbins, instead of paying for those Bobbin Buddies, I purchased a length of aquarium tubing at the hardware store and cut my own. Slice across slightly more narrow than your bobbins and then cut one side with the scissors, pop them on your bobbins and no more dangling tangled thread. I\'ve been slicing and dicing for the guild ladies lately:-)

Jeanette

I have heard or read that the little washer stops whip lash of the bobbin thread. the concept rattles my brain as I thought teflon was slick to prevent things from sticking.. and here it\'s working in reverse? Maybe it just puts that whisper of pressure on the bobbon to keep it from freely unwinding, but is slick to let it flow freely when sewing??????

RitaR

I was thinking of getting the Bobbin Genie after attending a Sharon Schamber class. After posting a question about it here, I found out that you don\'t need to use one with the APQS machines. The machine Sharon uses must have a problem with backlashing - not sure - don\'t know anything about her brand. Not sure about domestic machines, I never have backlash problems with my Janome.

Guest Linda S

My secret stitcher from another site sent me some of these bobbin washers and I haven\'t tried them yet. My question for Appel01 is, why do you need these on your Bernina? I\'ve sewn with my Bernina for four years, never had any bobbin thread troubles and I don\'t put anything special in my bobbin case.

Linda

Archived