Batting pokies

I just finished my second quilt on my liberty, Yea! The tension was much better on this quilt than the first so I am excited but I have pokies on the back. I read that I should check my needle, the tension of the quilt in the frame, but I also read about making sure the right side of the batting was up.

How do you tell the right side of the batting and which way it should go?

Thanks for the advice.

Dear (what's your name?)

Are you talking about thread pokies or batting coming through? Any time I had batting pushing through (not very often) it was more the fault of the backing fabric being cheap and thin, no offense. I have heard that only battings like hobbs 80/20 has a right side up because it has a scrim, and I have only used that a couple times and couldn't tell myself which way was up, lol.

There is a whole thread about this topic from fall of 2004. You can use the seach button, under the APQS logo to find almost any topic, but here's a link to the one that may help....

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=247#pid1277

Good luck!

Caron:

I use pretty much the same battings over and over (Quilters Dream, Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 and Warm & Natural). The only batting I ever worry about having a definite top/bottom side is Warm & Natural. The side with the flecks is the top side. But, there have been times when I put the fleck side down because I was afraid they'd show through the top and I had no problems at all.

I haven't had much trouble with bearding but I do believe it's the fabric that causes the problem most of the time because I have tried to figure it out. I have had the most problems with some of the Robyn Pandolph fabrics when used as backings. I can almost guarantee that those will beard . . no matter which batting or needle I use.

I seem to be able to lessen the bearding by using Sew Fine (poly) thread instead of a cotton thread but most of the time, I don't know there's a bearding problem until I've already started quilting so whatever thread I started with .. that's what I have to keep using.

Hopefully it's a problem you won't have often.

Thanks for the advice. It is the batting coming out through the backing. the backing is from Jo Morton's collection from Andover so it is failrly good material. I am wondering if I just have the thread tension too tight or a bad needle.

what is a scrim? Is it a texture to the batting? thanks again from this newbie.

Kathy Cummings

I am sure Judy can explain it better, but bearding is when the batting migrates out of the quilt, usually over time. You usually see it on dark fabrics woth light batting, and if you were to exaggerate it, it wouldlook like a "beard"

Scrim is a sort of very loose "fabric" holding the batting together. It is like a very vine large netting, and like I say, sometimes I can tell which side it's on, but sometimes not.

Caron

Archived