Posting Pictures - 9-Patch on Point

I just finished a top tonight. It is a 9-patch, set on point. I used Thimbleberries and Moda fabrics. It will be a lap quilt for my next door neighbor who is scheduled for both knees to be replaced about mid-month. I am thinking about buying flannel for the backing to make it cozy. I also need to buy the thread and the batting, yet. Then I need to decide on a quilting design, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

I tried to re-size the picture following Teresa Taylor's instructions. Let's see if I did it right this time...

post--134618989121_thumb.jpg

Not yet. In fact, I still don\'t have a LA. I\'m still saving for one. I have a Bernina. I know, it makes things so much more difficult to quilt.

I plan to buy a CL after I get the LA. At this point in time, I may be able to afford one in the spring - a used one, that is. I\'m probably shooting for a Liberty, as I don\'t have a business (maybe will do that in the future as a retirement income) and like to do more intricate designs, not lots of pantos and a high turn-around rate.

Beautiful quilt! Just a thought regarding need for warmth after knee replacement surgery. My mom just went through that in October, and part of the after surgery treatment was use of blood thinner to prevent clotting. As a result, she could not stay warm, and the only thing we found to make her comfortable was polar fleece. I used fleece as a backing for a lap quilt last winter, and can\'t get my husband to even share!

Beautiful quilt, Sandra. Love the colors & how you\'ve made them work together. Flannel sounds like the perfect backing to the perfect top! Your neighbor will appreciate the thoughts & your work on this quilt--one very fortunate neighbor! Be sure to share a photo of the finished quilt when you\'re done!

Pat

AZ:cool:

Mille

Lovely soothing colours. If you are using a DSM I see straight lines through the middle of the nine patch blocks, some kind of floral rose type motif in the plain blocks and then feathers or maybe a maple leaf in the triangular blocks. Borders can then carry on the theme either of leaves/roses or more feathers.

What a wonderful gift for your neighbor. From experience--I had bilateral knee replacement several years ago, there will be some swelling and the insiscions are sensitive. Hence, the flannel is a good idea but I don\'t think the fleece would be as it would add weight. Also I suggest that you use a light batting for the same reason.

Please tell your neighbor that I am praying for a speedy recovery for her.

PamelaA

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the great feedback and the terrific quilting suggestions. This weekend I plan to take the top to my LQS and see what they have available. I\'ll be looking at the flannel, fleece and Minkee. Part of my decision will be the availability of the "perfect" color, too. At that point, the batting will be decided. My LQS carries several types of batting, including Quilter\'s Dream.

Janette\'s living room is decorated in the Early American style furniture, and these colors will blend well. I know she will be very happy with the quilt.

Thanks,

Sandy

Nice job. I like the colors. Would pumpkin seeding the 9patch be too much work? I always like the lazy 8 in the small borders. I admire your ability to do this on a DSM. I tried to do one quilt and ordered a longarm immediately. It was a king and OMG. It was way too much work. I just finished doing a double sided polar fleece w/the breast cancer theme. I was surprised at how well it quilted up. There was no piecing, just two pieces of fabric.

Thanks for the suggestions, Marie. I\'ll try the pumpkin seeds on a white board to see how they look.

I also like the lazy eights in the narrow borders, and also the "e" and "l" design - similar idea.

I like doing smaller wall hangings or baby quilts on my DSM, but I don\'t like doing the larger ones, at all. On the big ones, I often SID the quilt and do some designs in the borders that I can reach easily.

Some day I hope to get a LA.

That is a very cozy looking quilt. I love the warm colors. While you are out shopping

for the batting and backing, take a look for the new Diana Phillips book called Flower

Power. She has some marvelous ideas for blocks, 9-patchs for horizontal and

on-point blocks. I think that her designs would work very well for either DSm or longarm.

No marking. I love that.

On posting photos, a good rule is to try to get your photos to a pixel size

that will enable the photo to show up left to right on the screen so you

don\'t have to scroll to the side to see the other side of the quilt. I use

480 x 640 pixels or 600 x 800 pixels. Anything bigger than 800 (like this line)will probably need scrolling. Bigger photos cause the screen to stretch and subsequent posts

also stretch to the right. I love to look at the photos of quilts.

I sure hope that you post a photo of the finished quilt now that Teresa has

tutored you on posting one. Don\'t be afraid to give us some close-ups, too. ;)

Archived