bookkeeping

Denise

Hi,

Just a quick question on bookkeeping....I need to do my end of year taxes and wondering if anyone has any advice on whether I can do it myself or need a professional or is there a good computer program out there that is quick...thanks alot!! Denise

That\'s an accounting term where debits have to equal credits, But with the Quickbook software you just enter it once and it plugs it in for you in the other part of the accounting equation for you. Now, I do not have an accounting background and what I just said may be totally wrong, but I think that is right... We have several people here who are CPAs, even got some teachers, lawyers and cops... someone here in the mix should know how to explain it better than me! :P

PS: Quickbooks has an excellent tutorial with the program (CD) and you can follow that to learn. Super simple...even a dork like me can use it!

It should be depreciated over a 7 year span as general machinery.

If you put it into business use the year you bought it, you can take a Section 179 deduction, which lets you depreciate more up front. Other rules apply as well.

Go to irs.gov and type in depreciation and you\'ll get the form and instructions.

Thanks Julia. That does sound familiar now. When I bought the machine in April, I spoke with a CPA about the taxes. He mentioned Section 179. Now it\'s time to figure out how to actually do the forms!

It\'s a good thing I\'m getting started now. IRS instructions can take you for a ride. A long one.

I have a question for the Calif. ladies out there, or anyone else who can help me. In Calif. when someone brings you a quilt to quilt, is this considered taxable or nontaxable labor. I always thought it was nontaxable, but looking at the State and local sales tax forms, I\'m confused.

Thanks for any help. Barbara

Archived