Thread loops on back

I've been getting a very occasional loop of top thread on the back of my quilts. It's driving me nuts. My tension looks great, I'm using a 4.0 needle and cotton thread in the top, with bottom line in the bobbin. The battings vary between Hobbs 80/20 and polyester batts. The tops and bottoms are all cotton, good fabric. I'm not sure why all of a sudden I get these loopies. I would guesstimate 5-6 per twin size quilt. They are ugly!

Any ideas?

This is what I have from Dick Fuller\'s tips page. I think he does/did the manual for A1 machines but this is something my dealer for my Proto machine had us keep to trouble check, so it must be pretty universal. Some one please correct me if that\'s wrong and our APQS machines are different. ;)

Hope you figure it out. That\'s the kind of thing that can make be run screaming to the adult beverage bottle.

LOOPS ON UNDER SIDE OF LINING FABRIC

1)Moving machine too fast for selected needle speed.

2)Tighten (clockwise) top thread tension adjustment 1/4 turn at a time until corrected. (1/2 turn for experienced quilters).

3)Clean under the Tension Spring on the Bobbin Case.

4)Bobbin thread not in tension spring delivery eye.

5)Put a sock on thread cone.

6)Check thread path on machine.

7)The Timing Finger (Stationary Finger) that holds the Hook Assembly and prevents it from turning should be 1/2 to 2/3 into the depth of the notch.

Hi Judy

Because this is an intermittent problem, I\'d thoroughly clean the hook assembly and the bobbin case. I would also check that there are no grooves in the pigtail guides, that the thread guide above the cone is centred over the cone so that the thread runs off the cone on both sides evenly. I\'d also check the hook assemblyfor burrs.

Since you only have 4 or 5 loops on a single quilt I wouldn\'t adjust the tension it sounds like the thread is catching on something.

Good luck

sue in australia

Archived