Needles

Read the posts almost every day and have learned so much. My Millie just keeps rolling along and I have had NO Troubles for so long, I almost think I'm just graduating from the "newbie" title. I do have a question. I am getting near perfect stitches for so long that I am almost afraid to change the needle. In my DSM I change the needle frequently and usually notice an improvement immediately.

How often do you change your needle. I once thought that every quilt deserved a new needle, but I'm getting such wonderful stitches on both sides that I don't know if that is true.

Any thoughts?

Pat

If I am doing a baby size then a lap size I don\'t change my needle. If I am doing a very dense quilting pattern on a large quilt...I change my needle after the quilt is done. If I am quilting on batiks I will change my needle after a quilt is completed, same if the batting is warm \'n natural.

I think you need to feel comfortable with what you are doing. If the stitch is good quality and there is no thud sound...like a dull needle trying to pierce the fabric...you are probably fine.

Others probably have different opinions because we all do what works best for us.

Cheryl

I switched to Titanium needles about a year ago, and they last much longer. I changed needles about a week ago (use a regular one that came with my machine) and I had to change again after 3 lap quilts. I had gotten used to my Titanium needles and not having to change as often. I\'ll be sticking to them from now on.

Yes, there are different sizes. The brand I got was Groz-Beckert and a size 4 needle. It\'s the same size that came with my Millie so I stuck with that. I know that I should experiment with maybe a smaller size one of these days so that when I get in a batik quilt the holes won\'t be quite so big. I\'ve got a size 3.5 on my shopping list for the next order.

I like the titanium needles. They last through many, many tops. The down-side is that they have a stiffer "flex" than regular needles so your timing needs to be perfect.

Not to scare anyone away from these great needles, but in my early days I let a friend quilt a top. She was unfamiliar with the "trouble sounds" and after getting a snarl under the needle plate, she continued stitching--fast. The titanium needle was pulled out of alignment by the snarl and jammed into the hook hard enough to break it (the hook, not the needle!) $75 for a new bobbin assembly and a week later I was back in business--also my first foray into the world of retiming. The guys at APQS couldn\'t believe I had crushed the hook with a needle that didn\'t even break!

I have never had any more trouble with these needles and I have never let anyone else use my machine.

See, I am not too old to learn!

Mark, who taught my maintenance class suggested that the needle should be replaced when you hear a "popping sound" as the needle enters the fabric. Like on your DSM, same sound when it\'s time for a new needle. I have to laugh at the story of the woman with her DSM who said that "it can\'t be time for a new needle. It hasn\'t been a year yet."!

Beth

Archived