Irish Chain suggestions

This is the Packer quilt I made for my niece. I am thinking cathedral windows in the chain blocks. I was going to do a football array in the White blocks, but I am not sure. I would SID around the white block also. I am going to use CQ for the Cathedral Windows and football helmets. Would this be too..traditional.. for a football theme quilt? Should I just do an allover? I am being compensated by her good friend, but I am not sure she would be willing to pay for the Cathedral Windows. Thoughts please?

post--13461899135468_thumb.jpg

Irish Chain does not need to be custom quilted. You could do an allover desing and it would look fine. Do what you are getting paid for.

I jsut took an order to make an irish chain from scracth (I am making the entire project and she gets a finished quilt) I am going to do CC continous cruves in the squares and in the white area she want crosshatching....................not my idea I wanted to do wreaths in there but she is the customer so crosshatching it will be.

Hi Nancy,

I agree that CCs in the chains are quick and traditional for an Irish Chain design.

Even quicker is a diagonal squiggle throuch the corners of the squares.

You have the option of squiggling twice per chain-group ( just the outside corners of the black squares),

again twice ( the corners of the orange/black squares only)

or squiggle four times ( corners of both black and orange squares).

A BTDT hint is NEVER straight-line a diagonal that goes for any distance

without a stop or direction change. The stitching may break because of the bias-stretch of the fabric.

A customer used her quilt on the bed and would vigorously "snap" the top to make the bed.

That hard handling snapped the diagonal stitching in several places and I got to do a repair job.

Told her I would re-inforce the stitching one time only and had her sign a waiver about care.

Hopefully all will be well with the quilt now!

Sorry I got off subject. Post a pic when you finish and I will see you soon! Yay!

I did a Redskins quilt that was the same pattern as this one. The customer didn\'t know what she wanted and said "just cross hatch it or something." I told her that would be boring! I quilted it with the "quills" panto. The quills looked just like the feathers in the Redskin logo. It came out very stunning and she loved it. I would try freehand tiger stripes like the backround on the print. I bet you could do them kinda like Darlene Epps Flames only stretch them out longer. That would be really different. Kinda depends on how outside of the box you want to be.

Hi Nancy,

As the author of the post with the large picture, you will have an edit button you can click on to delete that picture and resize it. Just thought you might like to know that you can "edit" any post you make yourself.

With regards to Irish Chain quilts, an allover texture works really well on them. When a customer brings a quilt for you to do, the first question should be "Who is the quilt for?" The next one is "How well will they take care of it?" The third is "What is your budget for the quilt." I never let the quilt tell me what to do! If this quilt is going to get the kind of care you described, I\'d be tempted to tie it! Just kidding!

But seriously, an allover E2E design is appropriate for the answers to all the questions you should ask the customer. This is a quilt that will be used and used up.

Here\'s the BUT. BUT, if YOU want to use this quilt as a good learning experience, then I would offer more expensive quilting at the price you would charge for the "appropriate" quilting level. It\'s not often we get quilts in that we can "learn" on. If you want to practice block inserts and some freehand CCs in the squares, then this would be a perfect quilt to do that on. If you need the money more than the practice, then a simple textural pantograph is all you need.

JMHO

Oh Darlene, if I could get away with tying it, I would. But really, the time I have into piecing it does not justify tying. I am a very picky piecer and this quilt is perfectly square, seams flat and all points matching, so I will just do your famous flames. I think that will be perfect.

I don\'t have an edit button. I went to the FAQ\'s and saw how to do it, but I don\'t have that button on mine. It says in the FAQ\'s that it might be disabled. I guess I am disabled. Hey, can I get a parking permit for that?? LOL

Nancy Jo

Hi Nancy Jo,

That elusive edit button is only around when you are logged-in and is in the top right corner of the post you may need to edit or delete.

So travel on over to the edge of the giant picture and see if it is there.

I may be wrong, but I believe you cannot delete the first post of a new topic--but there must be a way to edit it to remove the

giant picture if only to remove the annoyance of having to scroll across to read the messages

Hey to all techies--can ya help Nancy out?

You guys are so amazing. I love this list. The reason I could not find the "edit" button, and yes, I went to the FAQ\'s looking at how to do this--is because I have to use the BOTTOM scroll bar to make the screen go all the way to the right. Once I read Theresa\'s instructions, I thought, yeah but I am ALWAYS logged on. So then I thought, I don\'t have any buttons in the top right corner. Why not? Well, duh, when I looked at the bottom scroll bar, the answer became obvious. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I learned something today. Darn, does that mean I don\'t get the disabled sticker???

Nancy Jo

Archived