Ripping out/Frogging/unsewing

Hi everyone!

This may be a rhetorical question, but when do you stop ripping out what you\'ve stitched?

I just finished another customer quilt and didn\'t like how the stitches looked in parts of it, so I ripped out and re-stitched.

When do you do stop doing that? Will I get to the point where I\'m actually happy with how it looks? I\'m just starting to build my longarm reputation.

Thanks.

I don\'t have an answer, but I think you are doing the right thing. I think that it was Mary Beth who posted some time ago that you are "only as good as your last quilt." So, if it doesn\'t look good to your critical eye, would you want that to be the reputation that you develop.

Hope that something there made sense.

Beth

Remember too that sometimes when you take the quilt of the roller, it relaxes and the stitching does look better. Make sure that the quilt top and backing are not too tight, if they are it can affect the quality of the stitch. Another thought on this matter is that we are more critical of our work...we are not perfect at stitching, we are not perfect people...we need to remember that we are human and subjected to being imperfect sometimes:) whether or not we want to realize this fact. I do believe in doing the best job I can...but I realize that it isn\'t always going to be perfect. You need to be happy with the job you do.

Cheryl

Hi Stephanie,

Another good piece of advice is to sleep on it! If you aren\'t happy with a section, either keep stitching or stop and go away for a while. When we stitch we are right on top of the quilt with noses an inch away. Every bobble and ungraceful line is magnified and glaring to us. Go to bed and when you look at it the next day, then make a decision on frogging. Sometimes you cannot find the "ugly" , sometimes you find it and realize it isn\'t so bad, and sometimes you get out the seam ripper.

Another hint--when I un-sew, I advance the top so I can remove those ugly stitches from the backer as it sits on the top roller, not from the front. There are fewer seam lines , flatter areas, easy access since you are upright instead of hunched over the top, and (horror of horrors!!) if you accidently snip or slice a hole while ripping, the backer is more forgiving to repair--less noticable, there is always extra fabric for repairs, and sometime Fray Block will be all you need to make things OK. Always tell your customer when you make such a boo-boo.

I have never had this happen to me, but I have heard stories! (Can you see my nose growing?)

Happy stitching to you!

I always think to myself, is this good or just good enough. If only good enough, is there a way I can make it good, or is it the item, top, batting,, etc...

I don\'t like giving anything to anyone, that is just good enough, and very seldom do.. They get my best, just as well as I do, or our kids, our grandkids, those in need..

So, yes.. I rip till I think it\'s going to be good! also consider the off the frame item before you rip. Always do your best and even God doesn\'t ask for more than that..

Sounds like you are on the right track, caring and concerned, and that is good.

RitaR

Archived