Wedding Quilt

I have a question for all you quilters out there. I am doing a quilt for a very good friend\'s daughter. I have actually finished the top but what I would like are some suggestions as to how to do the back. What I want to do is have everyone who goes to the wedding sign on material and then I want to take these pieces and use them as the backing. Sort of like a memory quilt. I want to get a picture of the wedding as well and put that on the back also.

Has anyone done this before? The wedding is in Mexico and unfortunately, I can\'t attend.

Lib

Yes, actually I have and I teach it too! I use Pigma brand pens mostly for signing. There are also larger point fabric markers called DecoFabric. I\'ve used these for signing as well. You need to pre-wash the fabric before using it for signing, then let it dry for at least 24 hours with the DecoFabric pens, then heat set it by dry ironing. You can transfer photos to fabric. I like the Printed Treasures brand best. It\'s ready to use in your printer. You can make your own by using the Bubble Jet Set. I got mine at Dharma Trading Company. They also had the precut freezer paper you need to iron on to the fabric to be able to send it through your printer (and detailed instructions on how to prep). Kind of a pain, but sometimes worth doing it yourself. Printed Treasures is much easier.

I made a wedding quilt for a couple and incorporated photos of the couple (they dated through highschool and college) and the parents had lots of pics throughout the years. I made signature blocks with the photos and also transferred a copy of their wedding invitation onto fabric for the quilt. I used a thin batt so it could be a wall hanging, even though it was a little larger than most wall hangings. The quilt was completed before the wedding and they used the quilt as their "guest book." Guests attending the wedding actually wrote meaningful phrases and signed in the signature blocks on the quilt. It is still one of their most valued keepsakes from their wedding.

I\'ve also made a few for 50th and 60th anniversaries and other important occasions. It\'s kind of a different idea and I love thinking out-of-the-box. If you need more info. feel free to U2U or e-mail me. Good luck with your project!

Lib,

I made a quilt like this for my husbands grandmother\'s 100th birthday. The top incorporated different blocks and pictures from her life. For the back I used 2 panels of plan fabric and pigma pens for guest who attended her party to sign and write well wishes. I had the top on display next to the sign in table for everyone to see her life story. I completed the quilt after the party and used the two panels in the back along with a copy of her birth certificate, marriage license and a picture of her at 100 from the party. Everyone loves the quilt. The only thing I didn\'t plan out well enough was the quilting. One the back the quilting went through the bottom 1/4 of her picture and birth certificate. But since it was done with monopoly you can hardly tell unless you are looking closely. I too used Printed Treasures for the pictures. I have used other kinds but these are my favorite.

I now have requests from everyone in the(large) family for a quilt like it. My reply : when you turn 100 I will definately make you one.

Merry Jo, I wish I lived in California instead of BC. I would attend one of your classes. Thank you soooo much for all the info. I never thought of using a copy of the invite, that is a neat idea and I think I will do that. I have also copied your note so that I won\'t loose it and it is now in my quilting book.

Sonja, thank you for the tip on the quilting. I never thought about it going through the pictures. DUH!The top is a "French Braid" pattern so the quilt won\'t have too much fancy quilting....and in 35 years when I am 100 I will let you know so that you can make me a quilt.

If I can figure out how to post a picture again, I will post a copy so everyone can see the finished item. It won\'t be till after April 24th as that is when the wedding is.

Lib

I recently had a bad experience with Painted Treasures. I opened a package that I had purchased some time ago, & who knows how long it had been sitting on the shelf before that, but it was totally discolored (yellow-brown). I was only using it for labels, so cut a small usable portion out of the middle of the 8x10 sheet, which was still white. The package had never been opened, so never exposed to sunlight. If it can do in the box, I don\'t want it to happen on someone\'s treasured family heirloom.

Check out "Color Plus Fabrics"; so far I have been pleased with them.

Oh seakitten sorry that happened to you. I have another quilt that I used this brand on 10 yrs ago and it has not yellowed. (Thank heavens!). I just checked my stash of pkgs and none are yellow. I bought all these pkgs at one time 5 yrs ago. The quilt for grandmother is now 4 years old. (Yes, she is still going strong.) Her quilt has not yellowed either.. I would like to know what caused this. I will watch these very carefully. Thanks for the info.

I saw some great fabric recently. It was pre-printed labels on yardage. But instead of bright colors/floral/homey designs it was either black on white or silver/metallic on white. The designs were beautiful scroll work--very Victorian looking--all made in a frame design with about 4" by 8" space for writing. It was very striking.

I thought it would make a great backer for a wedding or anniversary quilt--it could be left whole (no piecing later) and seamed together to fit. Any outside frames that would not fit on the top could be X\'d out with blue wash-away so the guests would not sign those areas. There was a lot of room between frames for good wishes if a guest wanted more space for writing.

I bought the silver for a backer for a friend\'s 25th wedding anniversary.

We have signed quilts and other fabric items in our church group and have used the pigma pens. My daughter has the scrapbooking permanent markers from Creative Memories brand that are nicer to write with. The pigma pens nibs are quite sharp and catch on the fabric easier, the Creative Memories markers have a more rounded tip but very nice fine line. They just flow nicer.

Have fun with the quilt.

Archived