Starting and stopping

ramona-quilter

I am new to this and am trying to resolve my birds nest on the bottom problem so I checked out Linda Taylors Ultimate Guide to Longarm etc. On page 36 under Security the Stitches, I found "Each time you start stitching you must bring the bobbin thread to the top and secure the stitches so they will not pull out..."

So my question is ( and don't laugh) If I pulled up the bobbin thread and secured my stitches and was stitching along and the phone rang; Can I stop the machine, needle down, answer the call and resume where I left off. Or do I need to cut and start over by pulling up the bobbin thread etc. ?

Seems obvious to me but so much of this longarm stuff is different.

I leave the needle down when I go to roll the quilt...90% of the time...and it sure saves time with the 'shortie' I own right now. SInce there isn't a wide swath anyway, it was alot of starting and drawing up thread and etc.

everytime I came to the end of a row...Mmmm? I"m wondering if I get my

NEW LONG-ARM things will get easier.....still haven't decided on which

make and model to get...I am so impressed by several of them! To be truthful..I think it's down to who is going to throw me the "best deal" and

"lowest price" and "most for the money"...I've found one for $12,900 that sounds better than the one for $16,800...but it's scary...not knowing if I'm really getting the right machine. I've prayed about it and think I just need to give it more time. Maybe get my new knee put in and then tackle the

situation again while I'm healing up...I certainly DO WANT THANK ALL OF YOU for all of the mega in-put on the pros and cons of your particular machines. It is definitely figuring into my decision process...both my DH and I read all the letters and then sit and discuss. I wish I could just wak up and the machine be all set up in my studio and all I'd have to do is just

go 'throw the switch' and start sewing...Again..thanks all. ML

I leave my needle down too!

You probably already know this. For the month of Aug. APQS is providing a $1,000 cash back incentive with any machine purchase.

I am biased I know, but here it is. The APQS machines are built so well. I have had mine since Dec. and have not had one issue with it. They are belt driven, low maitenence, need little oil, very light - the Millie is only 45 lbs., made in USA, great support.......

Okay you know I could go on, and on!! I Love APQS and my machine.

Still, let us know what you end up getting. When it comes down to it, Longarmers are a family no matter what brand that you drive!

My two cents,

Cheryl

PS. Has your husband looked at machines with you? I have found that people(guys) with any mechanical or engineering knowledge really respect how well built the APQS machines are.

Hi MaryLou.

We have chatted about the machines before. Have you checked on APQS wesite for a road show near you yet. We are going to be in Nashville next week if you can make it to the show. I would love to show everything in person.

And you know what will make you feel really good. JUST DO IT we have the August special going right now, so it a great time to order. You can always go for the Liberty. That would get you closer to the price range you want, and you will have the best of both, price and performance. With a great machineyou cna finally stop worring about it. :) You are used to the shorter quilting area so even the Liberty will be large for you. The Millie does have another 6' of area. You can sit down and work and give you knee a break.

Myrna

Yes, DH is as interested as I am...and in fact, a better quilter...he has more confidence...he puts-er on HIGH and GOES! I putz about 2-3 on the speed dial and am tense the whole time....and the machine seems to like him better.

He'd like to get into the technical part of it...maybe some training on machine repair and sales. Several brands have talked to him about that.

We have eliminated 3 brands so far, so that leaves 3 left..of what we felt were the major brands in the US. I just have to feel right about and know that guidance will come. We are going to Lee-s Summit, Mo., this week

next to look at 3 of the APQS set up in a shop there. That ought to be a

good representation of their models. And I'm so anxiously looking forward to that. I hear one side say...light weight machine = less fatigue. Other ones say heavier machine = stability, less vibration...who do you believe?

It's hard to weigh some of these things. One says...get shorter armed machine as we are short people, our reach is only so long. Another says,

let the machine be the extension of your arms reach..get the longest one...

We look at pictures and the computer and talk till we're blue in the face

and still have to just wait and see where we are led. I am also looking at a binding machine at Independence, Mo., That looks like the bees knees.

Say, unrelated question...I was looking around a chat room the other night...the heading was "hobbies" - "Quilters" and it was just a bunch of stuff written in Arabic or gibberish or something...what was all of that stuff?

I was on a chat line with some quilters one night and don't remember how I got there or who they were. ML

MaryLou...

I had an opportunity to try all the major brands at a Needlework Festival a couple of years ago. I was lucky enough that when I got to the APQS booth I felt "right" pretty well immediately. It just felt like a good fit. I kind of figured it would be like this for most people. It must be a combination of a couple of things, I guess, like the smoothness of the machine's movement, the people involved, I don't know...I hope when you step in front of "your machine" the same sense of belonging will come over you...does this sound kind of weird or do you know what I mean???

Sandra

Archived