Panto Side Controls

I haven\'t done very many pantos in the year since I purchased my used Millie. I\'m doing one now (won\'t have any hair left by the time I\'m done!!) and find that the "thread cutter" button doesn\'t work from the panto side of my machine. That would be the blue button on the left side. To cut my thread I have to walk around to the front side of the machine and use the button there. This isn\'t a big inconvenience, since I have to reposition everything, but I\'m just curious: is that button supposed to work from both sides? Or is there some kind of design consideration that I\'m unaware of? Just asking.......

Everything else works just as expected - SR on/off, channel locks - the only thing that doesn\'t work is the thread cutter. And the needle is up - all I do is walk around to the front and use the blue button there - don\'t even move the head. Like I said, I have to reposition, baste the sides, etc., so it\'s no big deal, just wondering. I probably won\'t do many pantos - they are definitely not fun or easy for me - so it\'s just a curiosity thing.

Barb,

Have someone push the back thread cutter button while you watch it. Look (listen) to see if the blade tries to move at all. It could just be that you have some lint/gunk in there preventing the blade to move. Have you taken it apart and cleaned it lately? Or maybe the little shims have moved out of place and the cover is pressing down so tight on the blade it can\'t move?? I\'m hoping it is just a quick fix and you won\'t have to wait to get a new one sent to you. Let me know...

Tina,

The thread cutter works fine from the freehand side, and when the blue button is pushed from the panto side, absolutely nothing happens - no noise, nuthin, doesn\'t even try.

At least everything worked until a little while ago:( - had a catastrophic failure which resulted in a broken piece off the hook assembly. My DH is down there now, disassembling everything and taking lots of pictures. Already have a call in to Amy so that we can get things rolling for replacement parts early tomorrow. Luckily, I don\'t have any close deadlines on the quilts I have in house - guess I should be thankful for small blessings!;)

Thanks, Tina! My DH took all the covers off and we took a lot of pictures. He even put them together in a Word document which is even now e-mailing (on REALLY slow dialup!) to APQS service. He\'s gonna call them first thing tomorrow morning so we can figure out what has happened and how to best repair it. I suspect a new hook assembly is in my future, but my immediate need is a glass of wine, since I won\'t be quilting for a while.....:P

Hi Barb--

My condolences on the injury to your Milli. I had a buddy trying out my machine who punched a titanium needle through the hook--never broke the needle. I got a new bobbin assembly in a couple of days and did the dreaded re-timing thing with the help of my all-suffering DH. After you do it once, you will never be afraid of re-timing again. Good luck and now you have a little time to do some piecing!

Archived