what do you charge for changing thread colors on a quilt

veg-girl

I charge a minimum $5.00 per quilt (simple pantos) and/or $1.00 per bobbin...whichever is more for thread. Changing colors is additional work - I could see charging a minimum of $5.00 per thread change...plus the cost for the thread. Let your customer know the prices before hand and that the thread charge could vary based on how much thread is used.

This is a good question. I look at prices charged on web sites and some don\'t mention this, or they say they charge $4 or $5 for thread. Does that include King Tut or some of the more expensive threads? Do they offer variegated thead, because it is generally more expensive? If they do, what do they charge for these threads. I would hate to use King Tut on a quilt and charge the same that I do for regular thread.

I haven\'t charged for actuall thread change but I do charge .75 for a solid color thread and $1.00 for and varigated thread regarless of the brand. I don\'t know if that is right or not but that is what I do. This last quilt I did was a custom and I used 23 bobbins of varigated and 1 of a solid white so the total for thread was $23.75 and that was just thread. It isn\'t cheap and it takes time to change it all the time.

Renae

Renae,

Remember there is no quilt police!! Whatever works for you is right. What do the other quilters in your area do?

For me, price is a big deal, maybe I am making too big of a deal out of it, but if I pay $8.95 for a variegated thread, and charge them $5 that is fair to me. If I pay $15.95 for a spool of variegated thread, I won\'t be charging a $5 thread charge - it doesn\'t make sense to me.

Oh well, I guess do what feels right.

I charge for thread by counting bobbin used.

Here is my theory--I charge $1 per bobbin/partial bobbin used. If I use prewound BL (which are about .50 each depending on whether you order wholesale w/shipping or purchase retail) I figure the $1 charge will cover most of the cost. There is a lot of thread on a BL bobbin and you are using a corresponding amount of top thread, of course. If I wind my own bobbins of regular weight thread (Tut, Signature, etc.) there is a lot less thread on the bobbin but I still charge the $1 to take my bobbin-winding time into account. So a McTavished beauty using only BL thread may have the same thread charge as a sampler done all with 40 weight thread. I will make more money on the McT\'ed top because of my pricing structure. I just want to make enough to replace the thread used and it is a good way to recoup your costs without upping your by-the-square-inch pricing.

My customers have never balked at a thread charge, but one has attempted to provide her own thread. I gave her a list of acceptable thread brands--only on cones--no spools--and after checking prices she decided she could find something in my thread assortment to make her happy!

As the wise Mary Beth says, you get to decide how to run your business--there are no quilt police!

Linda,

I was going to ask about your pricing. I know we talked about it when I was there, and I couldn\'t remember how it went, but I remembered I liked it.

After finding out the price of the turbo winder....I have decided pre-wounds are the only way to go. I won\'t pay that much for a bobbin winder, I don\'t care how wonderful it is. I can wind a lot of bobbins on a cheaper model and they are out there. But that\'s another topic.

One more thing Linda, thank you for not adding that word that usually follows the word "wise", ahem, if ya know what I mean ;)

Archived