Turning a quilt

Hi,

I need to tap into all that experience out there! I am holding back from starting to quilt a project because I'm trying to work out all the details in my head before I begin.

Here's the rub: I know that I am going to have to turn this quilt (more than once) in order to have the borders quilted the way I want them.

Could you please share any hints or tricks or problems that you have had doing this? I will be freehanding the quilting.

Almost ready to take the leap,

Linda/9patch

I almost always turn my quilts when doing custom work. I have heard of doing one side, leaving the needle down, carefully advancing then continuing to the bottom then doing the other side but I have found that this way takes almost as much time as removing and re-pinning. Also, when I start and stop with the above method I find that the "flow" is not there and my design doesn't look as good to me. If the design has spots where I can hide my starts and stops I may do the sides as I am doing the body of the quilt but that doesn't happen too often;) I do pin( as opposed to stitching) the right outsides edge as I advance the quilt, and if there is SID to be done I do that as I quilt the body of the quilt. One of the benefits of doing this is that I usually hang the quilt and look at both the front and back for areas that I may have missed or areas that I feel need to be redone. I can mark these areas and do them after re-pinning. Just my way of doing things.....

H

I just finished some great classes at Innovations this week and here is a tip from an expert. In her custom class, Kim Brunner said to square and float the top. Stabilize at the first seam with either SID or basteing. She quilts the border but not the corners. She saves the corners until after she turns the quilt and says that this will help eliminate puckers because you have more control of the full width of the border and can ease in fullness more easily. Classes were great-my brain is full and my enthusiasm level is through the roof!

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

Millennium

Hi,

I know all about the full brain thing.....!!!

So far I have never basted down the edges of a quilt BEFORE I start to quilt. During a sleepless night recently I was reading that this is something that should be done always.

Jerri, when you say you pin the 'right side' instead of the quilt, is this what you mean? You don't stitch stabilize the edges, you rely on pins, even when turning a quilt.

Thanks.

Linda/9patch:)

Linda,

I'm confused about something. You say that Kim Brunner quilts the borders, but not the corners, before turning the quilt. Gosh, the reason I am turning the quilt is because I need to stitch the borders as they lay parallel to the bars. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. I'm thinking that I am missing something here. Can you help?

Thanks.

Linda/9patch

Perhaps I can explain....What Linda means is this. When you quilt the top border, you start at the body of the quilt on the right and end at the body of the quilt on the left. Then you quilt the body of the quilt, placing pins along the unquilted borders to stabilize as you advance and repeat the the border quilting process on the bottom border. Then I remove the quilt and trim the edges leaving about 2" of backing and batting all around. Then you remount the quilt with the unquilted borders at the top and bottom. At the point you can quilt all the way from the left edge of the border to the right edge of the border. Hope this helps, it is harder to explain then it is to actually do!

Archived