Backing Fabric

Oh - I prewash all my fabrics on my quilts. As for backings for customers, if they are buying the backing from me, I ask if they washed their fabrics in the top or not? Most do not, or have not, so I use it right from the bolt. Otherwise I will wash and dry it if I need to. Or sometimes they come early, pick it up and take it home and wash it, press it and bring it back.

Which brings up another issue with me..... I have had 2 quilts lately that I just couldn\'t stand the smell of!! Had to be the laundry detergent or something, were prewashed - just gave me bad headaches. Different battings - thought it might be that at first. Another quilt I just opened out of a bag - smelled like "the farm". I took that baby - FaBreezed the heck out of it and hung it 4 rooms away from all the rest... and me!!!

I am very thankful for my high vaulted ceilings and the ceiling FANS!!! :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judi, I\'m with you! I dont\' like to see the different colors on the back either, but I just couldn\'t get my tension right. Next time I will use a different batting....that might help me. So, this one is muslin back with different threads of color!:o I think too if you have a pretty top, use a pretty bottom!! oh welll...... linda

POKIES:

I had an experience with pokies that about drove me crazy and I lost the customer. Here is the hind-sight synopsis. The backing fabric was a quilt-shop quality thick cotton which had a lot of dye in it, lots of colors. The batting was 100% cotton. I kept getting pokies on the back, really bad, and kept adjusting the tension. I finally tried stitching through the backing without any batting, and I still got pokies !!! The problem was the backing fabric which had so much dye on a white base fabric.

BATTING:

Have any of you tried the new Eco Craft 50/50 blend from Mountain Mist? It is a fairly low loft blend of cotton and corn fiber. It has a wonderful hand, makes a soft, drapey quilt, and no polyester. It is "self-extinguishing" so good for baby quilts. It is easy to maneuver on the longarm, and my customers are asking for it. I love working with it, and I\'m on my second roll of 120" wide.

Here is a link: http://www.mountainmistlp.com/ecocraft.htm

Ann - great info. on that batting - will have to look into it! Right now I just carry Hobbs 80/20 and Hobbs poly down lite. We have talked before on here about the Bamboo fabrics and batting, eco friendly stuff, but I think the prices are still pretty high on those, a person wonders how these new items will hold up to washing too..... we shall see.

Archived