Backing Fabric

If you get "pokies" on top, just loosen your top tension until they stop. I have more trouble with pokies and thread knots on the backside. You can\'t see them until you either get down on the floor and look up, or you roll up the quilt and there they are !!! This is the way I think:

If I have pokies on top, the bottom thread is coming up, so that means the bobbin is too loose - or the top thread is too tight.

If the pokies are on the bottom, that means the top thread is too loose and is going through to the bottom.

I keep my bobbin tension slightly looser than the "drop method" test. Then I adjust the top tension to match by whatever the stitching looks like.

Most of my customers bring backing that matches their top. A few bring muslin or other plain fabric. I use cream colored or off white bobbins on most light colored backings. If the back is really dark, I try to match the bobbin color to the backing fabric. Yesterday a new customer brought a lap quilt. The top is strips of hunter green, burgundy, tan, and a print with a black background. The backing is the tan color. She wanted hunter thread on top and cream on back. I told her it is likely to show either on the top or the bottom. She said, "I thought if you get the tension right, it won\'t show on either side." I explained to her that if the tension is perfectly balanced, you will see tiny dots on both sides. But I also told her that since the thread is very fine, it will not be objectionable. We decided to go with her original desire. I just hope I can achieve that perfect tension balance! lol

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Joann...with 5 kids, 2 dogs and a husband, how do you find time to quilt...let alone space!!!!!:P:P

Thanks for the input...storage will be a problem until we get some stuff organized. We\'ve already given up the master bedroom for "Mel.":D

Ann...I like the way you explained how you adjust your tension. I always have to think about it for awhile before I can figure out what to do.

When I first test drove a Millie, it was at Cheryl Uribe\'s. She had different thread, top & bobbin, and said that once you adjust, our machines are so wonderful that you don\'t have pokies. I\'ve found that to be true...for the most part. I\'ve only ended up with them when my tension has been off.

This is a great thread on "thread"!

Another consideration when you are trying to put contrasting threads together is your choice of batting. A flat batting like a 100% cotton thinner batting will be more prone to the opposite thread showing simply because there is no room for the linking of the stitches to hide. Try a poly-blend or even all poly and those stitches will hunker right down and hide in the loft. It makes you look like a pro and is very forgiving.

Jen,

I just recently used Kona Cotton on an antique quilt. I would definitely use it again. I decided to use it rather than muslin, because I needed to train the quilt top to being square. In other words, I had to stretch it some in places when SID. I figured the Kona was durable enough to hold the stitches in place. Some muslin just gives and gives, becomes blousy.

The Kona Cotton was actually very soft on the back.

Linda...if all it takes for me to look professional is some puffy batting, I\'m on my way to the store!!:P:P Actually, I plan to get some Hobbs PolyDown and may be try some of the puffier (is that a word?) battings by Dream Cotton.

I\'ve always used the thinner batts on my domestic machine and always had a tension issue--unless I used the same thread top & bobbin--but now that I\'m a long arm quilter (she says, sounding official), I can use whatever I want...right??

Hey, Jen.....your question was finally answered!! Use that Kona Cotton!!

Well, I\'ve practiced and practiced and changed my tension every which way, but I am still getting the pokies....So, I talked to the owner tonight, and she does not care if I use different colors on the back . ....so I guess that is what I will do! I will remember about the batting for future.... This one has warm and natural for the batting. I need to order some dream battings and try them. What do you all use the most? 100% cotton, blend or poly? I like the feel of the quilters dream poly and it is not quite as expensive as the others. I\'m not yet sure what differences the batting makes.. I have so much to learn!! thanks everyone for your input! linda

Speaking of pokies...I never had them either until this subject started!! Thanks whom ever!! :) I have been using Hobbs Bleached Heirloom, I like the way it looks quilted, but I have more pokies than I can count!! I only bought 30 yards of 108" wide...so it should only take me forever to use it all up. The only other batting I have on hand is QD 100% cotton. I tried it because someone on this chat, (that isn\'t here any more) said they use it and love it....I don\'t. You can\'t move it because it stretches. You get finger tug marks in the batting. I am going back to my QD Blend and Hobbs 80/20 for those who like it.

I had the same problem with QD 100% cotton. Every time I touched it it left little mountians that were not that easy to smooth out. I was told it is the greatest because it sticks to the backing and dosen\'t allow the top to slip.

This is a good thing for hand quilting, not so good for machine quilting.

Just wondering - do you wash your backings before you use them on a customer\'s quilt? I purchased a 108" backing (can\'t remember name) was a batik and it shrunk to about 100" wide. Had to piece before using on quilt.

Also, find that muslin shrinks quite a lot.

What do other people do?

Do any of you have a standard procedure?

Marilyn

Guest Linda S

You know, wide backings are wonderful and if you can get your customers to use them, please tell me how you manage! All of our LQS carry wide backings. I have a "grandfathered" account with Christian Lane (they don\'t offer it anymore) where I get a small discount on the wide fabrics that I offer to my customers. You think $35 is a lot for a queen-sized backing? :o When was the last time you bought enough Moda for a queen-sized quilt back and stitched it together? You\'re talking at least 7 yards of fabric (44" wide, cut into two 3.5 yard pieces and stitched side by side) to make a queen sized back. At an average price of $8/yard (usually more like $9.50) for 7 yards of fabric, you\'re looking at a cost of at LEAST $56 to make a backing for a normal quilt. I think $35 for a quilt back that\'s ready to go is a great bargain. Not to mention that they have a fabulous selection. That said, I have too many customers who delight in using up all their scraps for a lumpy, bumpy, wonky pieced back. I absolutely hate those!

I\'m with Linda....love those fatbacks! I find them to be a good price, also. It is nice to work with a backing that has no issues. I had a first this week...a backing that was sewn together with french seams. I thought I\'d notice the extra thickness when quilting, but it presented no problems.

The same quilt, I just finished binding it. I don\'t have many binding requests, but I sure don\'t enjoy binding someone else\'s quilt. I\'m considering not offering it as a service anymore. What do you all do? I don\'t mind binding for the few I get that are from people that are not sewers at all...these are usually quilts handed down from grandma that need quilting. Glad to be done the binding on this one...110 x 112! I was determined not to do anything this morning til it was out of the way!

Sandra

I buy the 120" from JoAnns. I wait until they have a good SALE (keyword) Once in a while during their 3 day sales it is 50% off. Then I use my 10% discount card from my AQS membership (yes you can use it on sale prices) and then I use my resellers #, so I get the 15 yard bolt of 120" bleached and unbleached for about $4.50 a yard and sell it for $12. But you need to have in sight when your clients come, and mention it when they make that first call to drop off. That\'s a good first step, but I think if you start carrying colors and prints, you never have the right thing, ya know?

Hi Dory,

Brewers Quilting and Sewing Supplies has a distribution center in Reno which isn\'t too far away for you.

http://www.brewersewing.com/

If you have a resale certificate you can purchase items at wholesale and pick up in Reno. I live about an hour south of Reno, but it\'s worth my while to order and drive to Reno to pick up, especially on batting prices. I\'m not sure which fabrics they\'ll continue to carry and it seems since Quilters Resource purchased Brewers they have been getting the bugs worked out of merging 2 systems. I\'ve been ordering batting way in advance of when I absolutely have to have it. It\'s been taking a little while, but they get it in Reno and notify me when it\'s there and I plan a day to go and I don\'t have to pay the shipping. I\'ve been purchasing thread from them too.

Vicki in Minden, NV

Hi Vicki,

I have an application for Brewer\'s that I need to fill out sitting on my desk. They want three references before they\'ll open an account. I don\'t need an "account" per se, since I\'ll always pay cash, but they still want the three references. Currently, I have two: EE Schenk and Superior. I\'m thinking of buying some QD batting (not the 100% cotton!) and listing them as my third reference. I really like the idea of being able to go there when I\'m in Reno (which is quite often, actually--going today for a great-nephew\'s graduation) and since I could have batting drop shipped there, that would really be great! Guess I better get that application filled out!:)

Caron, I\'m with you. Seems that if I have fabric other than muslin, I\'ll probably never have the right color--then what do I do with it??

I talked with Christian Lane and while I do think that $35 is reasonable, I\'m back to the "how many and which ones should I carry?" They don\'t offer wholesale, so that makes it more difficult as well.

Originally posted by DoryJM

I talked with Christian Lane and while I do think that $35 is reasonable, I\'m back to the "how many and which ones should I carry?" They don\'t offer wholesale, so that makes it more difficult as well.

Dory...have you thought about the turn around time....when a customer comes in and you both know that you are not going to get to it today...why not have them pick out the backing and then order it. Or do you need a lot before they send it I\'m not familiar with this company so don\'t know if this is possible...just a thought.

As far as working with Brewer\'s...I had an account with them when I lived in Reno, and the ladies there are so great to work with.....I at times only had a few things to get and they would let me wonder the warehouse like in a store touching and filling up my basket...don\'t know if they still do that or not.

Bonnie, you are too smart for your own good!!:P

I just checked Christian Lane\'s website again, and I think your idea may be just the ticket. They can ship three fatbacks for $11, so if I have three customers that want them, that\'s easy. And if I don\'t, I can always order one or two extra of some generic color that would work with either something of mine or someone else\'s.

Mike at Windy Moon told me about Brewers, but that was before they were bought out by Bernina (I think). I\'m hoping they\'ll still let me walk around and touch/feel everything. Apparently, they aren\'t going to carry fabric there anymore, but they will have everything else. Hopefully, no minimums, but I don\'t know yet.

:P;) sometimes this ol\' cowgirl comes up with something good.:cool:

AND sometimes I\'m just not with it DUH!!!:o....these people are in Berlin, CT...Jim and Wilma. How stupid of me....they are the best to talk with and have some of the best fabrics to touch.

Sometimes??? I\'d vote for more like always!!:):) After all, without your help, I\'d still be putting my bobbin in all wrong and wondering why it didn\'t work!:P:P

Okay, I\'ll have to try some fatbacks just so I can touch them!!:D

I put in an order with Christin Lane yesterday afternoon and it just showed up at my office today. Can\'t beat that service. It was for 1 fat back and 1 yard of cotton sateen and Wilma only charged me $6.50 for shipping. I spoke to her at MQX and she said that they didn\'t do special\'s for resale anymore, but if I can get it that fast for a customer I will order for them without making any profit just to be able to use it. I hate pieced backings.

Also, QD on the roll (machine Blend) is much better than a packaged cotton. I just finished a quilt with Warm and White and it bearded all over the place. Customer supplied it so I noted it to her what caused it. W & W is noted for that.

I\'ll throw in my $0.02 worth on the batting issue: I LOVE Quilters\' Dream 100% cotton. Until recently it was all I stocked. The "request" loft (the thinnest) is just right for the generally warm climate where I live, it quilts up to a lovely soft old-fashioned look & feel. True it is very stretchy, but you can stretch it back, & smooth out the lumpies, just as easily. It is highly prone to pokies, but they disappear when the quilt is washed.

That said, I have had some surprisingly good experiences with polyester lately. I bought a roll of the Quilters\' Dream "Dream Puff" and have become a convert. It looks thick and stiff on the roll, but quilts up soft and light. It feels very cuddly, great for baby quilts. My LQS sells Hobbs Heirloom 80-20, an that is not bad either. I just finished a customer quilt (more on the Quilt From Hell later, when I download the photos) using that I think was Warm & White 100% poly; it quilted nicely also but is very heavy. No pokies on the 100% polys. some on the Hobbs. So, conclusion is that they are making polyester batting better these days.

On binding: I also love doing bindings, used to do them fairly frequently when I lived in California & did them for my LQS owner who made custom quilts and did NOT like to bind. However, they are labor-intensive, & I charge so much for them that no one here can afford it. Sandra, you can try that!

Dory, how far are you from Burlingame, CA? P & B Textiles is there, and they sell fabrics, including wide-backs and batting wholesale. I shop at their warehouse here in Dallas alot. Their website is www.pbtex.com. They sell Dyers muslin 115" for $4.50, and all colors of wide-back, 115", in Color Spectrum for $6.00 to $6.50, and Ramblings for $6.25. Let me know if you want more details.

Dayna

sscquilting@yahoo.com

Originally posted by Linda S

You know, wide backings are wonderful and if you can get your customers to use them, please tell me how you manage! ......... I have too many customers who delight in using up all their scraps for a lumpy, bumpy, wonky pieced back. I absolutely hate those!

Oh I am SO with Linda on this!! They can be so tight on the rollers in one section and loose and floppy on another area and back and forth and so on...... All those seams too! Especially a FLANNEL quilt top and back! I just did one of those - lady is lucky she is a VERY good friend of mine - or it would have cost her a bunch more than I charged!!!

Do you have a Mills End around you? They sell backing fabrics by the yard and usually around $6.00.

Personally - I do NOT like the look of muslin on most quilts. Yes, it fits and is o.k. on an older looking piece like 30\'s fabrics and such. We put so much time, money and effort into Piecing a beautiful quilt top - it seems a shame to put muslin on the back. Just my opinion. I know we have talked about his before on diff. posts.

Also - I match my bobbin thread to the backing - always. I especially do not like the look of dark threads in some areas on a quilt then it goes to light, then back to dark in another area. I know it is easier, it just looks lazy to me. Again - just my opinion - please don\'t bite my head off - I just don\'t like the look of it - especially on plain muslin!;);)

There is place up in MPLS that I can drive to and pick-up batting and fabrics, thread, notions, patterns - everything!! Such a cool place! Only sells to wholesale accounts. I just came home with 6 rolls of batting a few weeks ago. I have right now only 4 diff. colors of backing fabric. I was able to buy these out from a previous quilt shop owner for her cost. When I was up at R & Z I purchased a bolt of Michael Miller for only $1.99 a yard and also a bolt of Marcus Brothers. These were close-outs bolts, the last of the lines, but one is in purple liliacs - LOVE purple! The other is green with gold stars. Both great all-overs that would make excellent backings! I also bought a bolt of solid black - because I make a lot of Black, red and white quilts....

That being said - I would also much rather piece a backing for a customer, charge just a little, and have it done right the first time. Much better than having to re-do them!

Archived