What kind of bobbin problem does this look like?

I started hearing clinking from the area of the bobbin case. Each row of this quilt is taking two bobbins--heavy quilting. I had been making sure I was blowing out dust and lubricating the bobbin area.

I took the bobbin out. Sprayed air. Did find one loose thread and removed it. Put the bobbin back in and started a new row. Sounded fine. BUT, OMG. I checked the stitching underneath, luckily, and saw the mess. I will have to rip out the 5 inches, then start testing my tension on a test quilt. Thank goodness I caught it. I took the bobbin out again and I did have some lubricant in the case which may have been too much lubricant? I\'m not sure. The spring seems ok. The bobbin did seem like it needed tightening. I\'ll have to check all these things...however, in the meantime, while I am frogging, does the picture look like a a familiar problem?

Any suggestions what this problem may be? Timing?

post--13461899746173_thumb.jpg

Deb, I would go to Superior Threads and check out their page on Tension Adjustment. Also, I would pull the bobbin out of the case and check under the spring inside and the little arm on the outside of the case to see if there is any fuzz or threads that have gotten stuck in there. The chart at Superior Threads is a life saver for me. Very simplistic (which I need always). I hope this may help.:cool:

Check the thread path on the top thread - looks like the upper thread lost tension - maybe it \'jumped\' out of the tension discs? You might want to pull the thread out and re-thread the machine....also, check that the 3-hole thread guide that is right above your tension control unit is pointed at 8 o\'clock - if it has worked it\'s way down from there, the thread will be able to find the \'easy way out\' and work it\'s way from out of the tension discs.

Hopefully this will clear it up for you! Frogging is NO FUN!!

Amy, you were correct. I did, correction, I thought, I\'d checked the thread path. Lo and behold, there it was glaring at me. The thread had jumped out of the loopy bar that comes after the tension disks. Obviously no tension. Good thing to remember. I thought I had a big problem. Must be too many hours on the machine in the past three days to miss the obvious.

Thanks to all of you for your jumping in to help. I guess I need a good test every so often.

I\'ve had this happen as well and after fussing with the bobbin and changing the needle etc. finally discovered the real problem. I love the looks of the varigated thread on the purples. I hope that you will post a picture of the whole thing when you finish.

Archived