batting charge

How do you determine what to charge a customer for batting? Do you charge by the amount you have to cut off the roll and then give the trimmings to the customer, or do you just charge for the amount used in the quilt, and then deal with the leftovers yourself? The quilt is 60" square, so I should cut off that much with a couple inches to spare, but the batting is much wider than the quilt, and all that I cut off will be waste, unless I make a baby quilt with the leftovers. Did I just answer my own question? :P

I purchase rolls of batting wholesale and sell retail by the inch. Batting that is $9.99 a yard is sold for $.28 per inch. I do not sell batting by the square inch, only the running inch. They buy it all and get all the trimmings. You are absolutely right!!

Yepper that\'s how I do it as well....say the quilt is 65 inches square...and the batting roll is 96inches wide....I cut off a piece 96" by 80" and they are charged for that amount....NOW if they don\'t want the trimmings....that is fine, but they do pay for it. I can\'t put it back onto the bolt after its cut off.

I sell the batting by the inch, and give the leftover to the customer. If they don\'t want it, I donate the leftover to make charity quilts -- a friend pieces leftover batting together. Most people are happy to donate the leftovers to charity, and makes it cheaper for us to make the CASA quilts -- after all, we are already donating our time, so the less spent on materials, the better!

Like most of you, I have batting on the bolt and sell by the inch. I have one customer who does lots of baby quilts and now she intentionally makes them narrow enough to fit two across on the batting. We are down to minimal waste! She also uses the same backing on multiple quilts, so I can load one huge backing and one batting and just plop on the second top. Did I mention she is one of my favorite customers!

Archived