question about zippers

Pam H

I have zippers that I had when I had a Discovery with a 12 foot table, never used them, now I have a 14 foot table, my question is can I put these zippers on my leaders even though they won't go all the way to the ends? I really don't anticipate doing quilts that large. Or should I sell these and buy the right size?

PamH

Personally I would just center them in the 14 foot leaders and use them that way....do you really need to have them go to the ends of the leaders? I don't use them, but would think it would work that way....just a guess.

I agree with both Bonni & Heidi. If you do get a quilt that is longer than the 12', you could pin a strip of twill tape onto the quilt and then onto the leaders to fill in. I would use what you have and save the $$ for another toy!!:D

Wow you guys are great! You answered a question I had before I even asked it. I had a great opportunity to buy some 12 ft zippers for my 14 ft table from a friend who changed her leaders completely and didn't need them.

I thought it would be a great opportunity to see if I like them before buying ones that fit, but my concern was what to do if I got a quilt that was bigger. Twill tape!

Okay now another question. What is twill tape and where do I get it?:D

Personally I would replace and put the correct size.

The idea of a larger table is so you can do larger quilts I'm assuming.

I know it is part of the cost with getting larger table but I would definately utilize all of my leader length.

You will be glad you did. I thouht I wouldn't get that many large quilts but still went with the 14ft.

I only take a few quilts now and not quilting for customers on the scale I used to and I get alot of large quilts to do that use the longer zippers. IT would be a pain to deal with if quilt backing is larger than zipper.

I am kinda picky so my advise may be no good. lol

It will make your job much easier.

Best wishes,

Grammie Tammie

Originally posted by TracyeQ

Okay now another question. What is twill tape and where do I get it?:D

You can buy Twill Tape at any fabric store that carries, zippers, bias tape and hem tape....its in there with those. Joann's, WalMart if you have one that still carries fabric, Hancock's....and even some quilt fabroc stores that are also fashion fabric stores may have it.

Thanks Bonnie, I'll look for it next time I go.

Grammie, I'm getting zippers for $15 plus shipping so I can't beat that. It will give me a chance to see if I'll even use them.

I don't like my leaders, too thin. The ones on my Proto were much thicker and didn't distort and wrinkle while quilting like these, and I already know I'll switch these out eventually. So this will give me an idea of what I'll want to switch to exactly, just thicker leaders, or thicker leaders with zippers attached (like Gammill sells), or even thicker leaders and zippers separate to attach myself for that matter.

I just feel like this is a very inexpensive way to make an informed decision later.

Archived