Pins rusted

Yesterday I got a load of premade blocks, strips, pieces, chunks and yards of fabric... Two of the pieces had straight pins in them, and some of the pins rusted pretty badly.

Anyway known to remove the rust. Can't use Whink, as many of the blocks are solid bright colors...

Any and all help appreciated. I've done nothing but remove pins, sew the seam and set it aside.. too pretty to throw out.. and some little kid would love it.

Many thanks,

RitaR

Hi Rita,

Well, continue to piece these blocks together into tops and then quilt them. After it's quilted then I would do some work on getting those rust stains out. You could do repeated soaks using different solutions if one doesn't work try another. I think you could get most of the rust stain out.

Like you said, either way someone is going to love the quilts, even with a little rust stain :)

Thank you everyone.. I have Grandmas, I have Orvus Quilt soap, I have Retayne, and All laundry detergent, old bleach, new thick bleach.. Whink, and peroxide, lemon juice.. no Carbona.. what is it, bar or liquid, spray or pour.. and where do we get it...??? I've not heard of iron out.. is it a general Grocery store item? LOL, even here in North Carolina. ??

I intend to finish it,, um maybe I can draw something along the seams to cover/hide the rust.. I just hate not getting it out knowing rust deteriorates cotton.

THanks Again,, Big time..

RitaR

Hi Rita,

Carbona is a liquid stain remover in lots of different formulations--I keep the one for removing blood in the studio. It is in grocery stores here and also at JoAnns. I can send you some if you want.

Iron Out is a granulated bleaching product that I use in the washer to whiten shirts because we have very rusty well water. But you, my friend, shouldn't use it as it is super toxic when breathed--don't be askin' for trouble, now! We get the Iron Out at Home Depot in the cleaning supplies area and it doesn't harm the fabric.

I will look for a Carbona labeled for rust and let you know what I find.

Talk to you soon!

Many Thanks Linda.. we'll be looking around here too. Won't be up near Home Depot until Tues and Fri of next week, but doubt the Dr. will want me running around after the proceedure, shopping and getting in and out of the van.

Our daughter is a shopping lover.. can find things I've never heard of so if she's going up that way I can ask her to check for me.

Now Lye soap I know about.. home made type. lol.. and Lava, the old black stuff.. but carbona, nope..

Thanks again for all the info. Having a ball with the Topper, and the Topper pattern boards as well as a couple of the RS boards.. The topper can't be Topper ed.. :P

More later.

RitaR

Thanks Heidi.. shall look on Fri. when we have to be near the store for the GD birthday party.

Roland's finished the main quilt he's piecing and has borders picked out, too. He's doing REAL well on sewing straight seams and getting corners matched.. only 2 not even 1/8"off.

Going to be fighting over quilting machine.. will have to send him up to Help Kelley and Joanne in their store front. ROFLMHO.

RitaR

Archived