Pre-Design meets Sherry Rodgers meets Sharon Schamber

I have a french braid customer quilt I'm working on for the AQS show here in October. My customer wanted longarm style feathers in each top/bottom section of each braid going toward the center. There are 8 sections together, each one 12" by 34".

I decided to use something similar to the wave feather border in Sherry Rodgers book, Fancy Formal Feathers. My problem was how to mark the feather spines and containment on the large sections of the quilt and keep each section consistent without spending hours making a template, stencil or using Golden Threads paper.

Here's where Pre-Design and some Sharon Schamber techniques come into play. The pictures that follow show what I did to solve this problem.

Debbi

I taped the sections together and trimmed it to the exact size of the braid section.

Now my problem was how am I going to get this marked onto the quilt since it was pretty flimsy. Here's where Sharon Schamber comes in. I used her techinque of creating templates for piecelique.

Since I need to stitch the braid reversed, I took a thick black sharpie and traced the lines on both sides of the paper. Then I ironed the entire design between 2 sheets of freezer paper. Now it's stiff enough to use for marking the quilt.

post--13461899992606_thumb.jpg

The entire process was accomplished in about 20 minutes and I am so pleased with the result because I can mark each braid section very quickly now and they will all be consistent!! :cool:

Best of all, with the design now in Pre-Design, I can use the same technique to create the same template in a matter of minutes to fit any size I need to quilt. I'm a happy camper now!!:P:P:P

Debbi

Well well... congratulations, Miss Smarty Pants! :)

Joking aside, that's great and thanks for sharing your idea and the directions, too (and the shameless plugs for Sherry, Sharon, and of course, Pre Design, which Loes & Theo wll appreciate).

I am sure this quilt will be stunning, as all of your quilts tend to be. :)

Archived