can't pick up bobbin thread

I adjusted my timing this weekend and my machine is stitching much better.... (Was having looping problems). But now, I can't get my bobbin thread to come up to secure my stitches. It's just stuck and when I try pulling the bobbin thread up, it breaks off. Any ideas? I don't know why this is happening.

Generally timing issues do not cause loopies. The only time I have to time a machine is when the operator has caused it to go out of time, sewing over a thick area, hitting a template, scissors, catching something in the hook assembly, etc.

Did you move the finger that holds the bobbin basket closer to the hook assembly? It should only be about ? way in the slot. I believe this adjustment is covered in you manual.

Hope this is of some help.

John

I have had difficulty for awhile with my stitching and had talked to Connie. Timing it was suggested as I have broken a needle awhile ago and sewed over a pin. I had never had to time it before. I had step by step instructions she emailed me and I did do the last step you mentioned. Still no luck with being able to bring up my bobbin thread. I can pull and pull and it just sits there and would break if I try to pull it up.

Thanks for responding to my questions.

John, here's an addendum if you're "listening"....

I took off the needle plate cover to check the finger going into the bobbin basket and interestingly enough, I could pick up the bobbin thread with the needle plate cover off, but when I put it back on again, same problem. Does that make any sense? :cool:

Hi Selah--

I had to re-time my Milli a few weeks ago and had the same problem with picking up the bobbin thread. The solutions was to adjust the finger farther out (towards the front) until it works. You will have to replace the needle plate to test it but it only took us one try to fix. Hope this helps. Re-timing is so scarey until you actually do it! It's good to know there is such great customer support for all of us. I love APQS!!

Linda Rech

Rainy Washington State

I love my Millennium!

Sound like you are on the right track. The finger only keeps the bobbin basket stationary. There is very little pressure put on the finger, you just don't want it to slip out of the slot. For future reference I have had to replace the finger a couple of times because the finger broke. This was caused by getting batting or material caught in the hook assembly while cleaning when the machine was running. Good luck. John

I am logged on as Janet so it looks like a post from her. I haven't brought up my computer this morning and do not want to log her off.

Hi All,

The reason I said to re-time the machine for the occasional loop, is that sometimes if you can't tighten the tension enough to pull it up ( or down ) then that means the machine is actually trying to skip a stitch... that is why there is an occasional loop! You need to make sure the needle depth is correct and that the hook is deflecting the needle just a little! The best test that I have found, is, when the needle is on the way up, and the hook is right at the scarf of the needle, if you can get a piece of paper between the hook and the needle, then you need to pull the hook a little bit closer to the needle!

So, in answer to your question, an occasional loop could be a timing issue! However, we want you to try adjusting the tensions first!

the hook finger should be in 1/3 of the way in the slot! Or, just far enough to keep it ( the black basket ) from spinning!

If you are in doubt, just give us a call!!

If you can't pull up the bobbin thread, make sure your bobbin tension is loose enough! then, pull your needle plate back.. Cycle the needle down and up, look to see where the point of the hook is stopping, if it is going past the hook finger (to the left) then it is overrotating and we need to make an adjustment in the back of the machine... changing the timing or needle speed won't help this problem!

Cycle it several times,as it will vary just a little!

Call if overrotating and we can walk you through that!

Good Luck!

I had the same problem, but my top thread was wrapping around the bobbin shaft. I readjusted my mag collar magnets and haven't had a problem since. Good luck and remember to work backwards on what you did to your machine.

All this was thanks to Connie's maintenance class!

Archived