Design Wall

I was reading about the photography stand being used as a design wall. I don't have space for a stand like that, so I have been using a flannel sheet hung on the wall with thumb tacks. It works well for placement of individual blocks, but not so well once I start sewing them together and the quilt gets heavier.

Previously I used a room divider which was covered with some kind of a fiber that the blocks stuck to. It was rather small, but better than nothing.

Ann, this past weekend I just bought two large sheets of foam insulation board at Lowes. My plans are to staple these with some batting or flannel to use for two things:

1) Prop them up vertically against the wall when I need a design wall. When I don't need the "tall wall" I can turn them sideways so they store nicely behind my cutting board (my sewing room has walls at an angle (similar to a barn roof) so that's why I need something like this to work on!

2) Lay them both on the floor next to each other and use both as a place to block my quilts. Both of them laying together on the floor are large enough for a king sized quilt, I am sure!

Now, this is completely in theory as I have not done option 1) or 2) yet. My imagination has been wandering and I thought this might work. I hope it does. The foam insulation boards were $16.00 each, so not a lot of $$$ invested.

Shana,

I own a quilt shop in Baton Rouge and we use the foam insulation board for all sorts of things. We have some on the wall in the shop that we cover with fabric and pin on small notions and patterns. We cut some into smaller pieces and have one for each student when we have a class. We have full size sheets attached to the walls of the classroom. I have some on the wall of my quilting studio so i can pin up quilt tops to view and finished tops to phtograph. Foam insulation is great!!!

Sandra

Shana - your project will work fine. I didn' have 8 x 8 ft of wall when I made my design walls a couple years ago. I had our hardware store cut the 3/8" thick 4 x 8 piece of insulation board in half. I didn't use batting but now that you mention it, that would be a great addition.

I had my DH screw a mitered piece of 2 x 2 on the back of the foam board so it could hang on the other half of the mitered 2 x 2 attached to the wall. (screw head is on front of board. I wrapped flannel around the front of the board and stapled it to the back. It works great.

I don't know about using it to block a quilt. Shana, you'll hve to tell us how that works for you. That is a good question for a separate post.

Archived