top and bottom of quilt with CL large templates

meg_marsh

Just finished using the swirls (CL) on my latest quilt. Came out great. Started with the beginning of the template. At the other end the template did not quite finish so just finished and ran off the edge of the quilt as necessary - no big deal. But then I decided I should go back and fill in the spaces - a few lines from the top of swirls running across the quilt top. Had a devil of a time reverse matching the template to get just the top of the 2nd row of swirls. I think it is because once you have quilted everything and have to roll back to the top - it does not roll back the same. Understand the concept and did my measuring (no holes for reverse matching). But for the life of me, I just couldn't get it right. My solution was to pull out my circle templates and just fill in those few lines for the tops of the swirls.

Question: If you are doing straight E2E and not worrying about any matching, would it be better to start the template in the middle to make sure the edge is covered completely with the design and then the design will come out evenly quilted on both ends - pattern may not be the same, but at least the quilting would be equally filled in and balanced.

Thanks - :)

Meg & Sandra (or any other CL Queens) "Question: If you are doing straight E2E and not worrying about any matching, would it be better to start the template in the middle to make sure the edge is covered completely with the design and then the design will come out evenly quilted on both ends - pattern may not be the same, but at least the quilting would be equally filled in and balanced."

Not sure if I understand - so you would start out in the center of the quilt, work backwards, reroll to the center and then work the design forwards?

I too have had to fill in the swirls at the very beginning of the quilt. I do it freehand (imperfectly) after I finish my first pass.

Ok - I had it right - at the beginning of the quilt - start part way up the template and this will allow all spaces to be filled properly.

Michael sent me this email - he watches our posts:

from Swirls Instruction sheet.

- Practice by running stylus thru spirals without sewing. Note entrance to fill sections.

- Start pattern at bottom of quilt with only part of spirals row. Stitch in ditch to pass from

one groove to the next. It will be confusing at first. You have to learn by doing.

I was ticked that he answered and I was just as ticked that I figured it out. Thought it was great that he answered my post and now I just want to pass along to the rest of us newbies. The directions were all there - I just didn't pay attention well enough.

The think is....these templates are so stinking easy to use that we become like men and throw the directions down and just start using the template. Instead of reading the directions. I called Michael once, in a panic, and he didn't say this, but he knew the wording and knew where to tell me to find it in my directions :D If I had just read them I wouldn't have had to pester him....but then....I think he enjoys being pestered just a little - right Kay :P

Archived