Another French Braid Question from Lib

To first answer Gerri's question...you can use either, its what ever you like best for your quilt...its not a question of one being stronger than the other its more of I like this look better than that one.

And to answer Lib's question....Sulky's invisible threads are a bit more light in weight than the Superior threads, it was produced more for a wearable garment thread than a quilting thread....however its a good thread, I'm not sure I would use it in a quilt.

I have seen in the past the Sulky threads doesn't stand up to the UV lights as well as the Superior threads do. You can not iron the Sulky threads...if you do it may not break right away or it may not melt, but will be damaged and the threads will pop with time and washing.

Where Superior threads are meant to be ironed over should you need to...the UV lights do not break down the fibers so to speak and it an over all better thread...a bit more costly, but well worth it...

Has anyone ever used Wonder Invisible Thread? It is 100% nylon. My quilt store said it was really nice to quilt with so I did buy one spool. However, it seems really light and not very strong. Feels nice and not plasticy but I am really scepticaql to use it.

Lib

It a thread I would use in wearable garments that will only be used once or twice a year...

I wouldn't use it in a wallhanging as the UV will break the thread down. I don't know how many washings will effect the threads, but have heard it pops really easy if you don't have a correct tension on it. One of my customers even said she could hear it popping across the floor...would hear a ping...walk towards it and after several days finally was next to it when it pinged....and then she noticed the pokies.

Nylon is the one that melts, stiffens with time and deteriorates relatively fast.. I'd not even use it on garments such as jackets that will be worn unprotected from the sun, when outdoors.

I'd save a lot of money and buy the MonPoly from Superior. The one from Sulky, I'd use strictly for indoor items.. pillowcases, sheets, dish towels, etc.

Good Luck, Rita

Archived