Getting Rid of Smoke Odors

sewfari

I've been reading comments about pets and smoke odors and thought I'd start a new post specifically about the smoke issue. I'm a reformed smoker (4+ years) and have a very low tolerance for the odor. About a year ago, my husband brought home a "Freshaire" by Ecoquest to try out. I was a little skeptical at first and could think of more glamorous things to spend money on. I was sold when I took in 5 quilts that absolutely reaked of cigarette smoke. We opened them up and hung them around in a bedroom, set the machine on "sanitize" for two hours and shut the door. No kidding, you could not smell even a trace of smoke! Works great on those musty mildew smells too, not to mention pet odors!

Hi Sewfari,

Where did your husband find the freshaire at?

This sounds like something that would really work in any home.

Like with 2 preteen boys and 1 teenage boy, with the hormones changing, some times I think their rooms smell like a boys locker room. The boys do keep their room clean. Plus we have a lab and looking for a puppy this spring. I have been looking for something to help in the winter time with oders from the house being closed up and no fresh air coming in. Its supposed to be in the high 30s this weekend I can open the windows for a little bit!

Thanks

Char

• 1 month later...

Hi All-

If anyone is interested in information about the "Freshaire" by Ecoquest system, I have a contact for you In Florida.

Her name is Anna Christopher and you can contact her at tmchris@cox.net

She's a great lady and can get you any information about this system.

Hope this helps!

Laura in Colorado

Cynthia took the words right out of my mouth....this too is what I use for smokey quilts..."FABREEZ" this and a little airing outside if you have a clothes line works wonders and you don't have to worry about the produce staining the fabric should you get a little heavy handed.

Good Luck...

Bonnie

There is a product at Home Depot that is better than Fabreez. It's made by a company named Zep and is called Odor Control and can be used inside or out. It's an enzyme worker and actually kills the bacteria that causes the ordor. It's the only thing I know that will get rid of skunk odor. My deceased father-in-law worked directly for Zep and I've been using this product for over 30 years. Until recently, Zep only sold to large industrial users. Thankfully, I'm able to get this product again. I also highly recommend their orange citrus cleaner. I've used that for everything from washing dishes and removing blood (highly diluted) to removing varnish from wood floors!

Archived