Aren't they a wonder to behold....they look so huge once you realize that its a bug and not a real bird.....glad you were able to finally see one...they are pretty rare indeed.

The first one I ever saw was in pitch black parking lot and it landed on my shoulder while I was under a street light at a road side rest area...I'm sure you can still hear the scream echoing through the valleys.....:P

We have a tree called a Clerodendrom tricotomum, commonly called a Peanut Tree. When you rub the leaves together they smell like peanut butter. This time of year they bear white blossoms with a yummy fragrance and the moths love it at night. These moths are not the big hummingbird type, but they are at least an inch long. They were all over that tree a few nights ago. Again, I wish I had a picture, but alas, not.

Those hummingbird moths are truly a wonder. Glad you got to see one.

Originally posted by Bobbi47

Bonnie B - I'm sure you were screaming how beautiful it was!!

:( No I wasn't....I even cried...when I get scared I cry....:( After I figured that it wasn't going to eat me then I was amazed at its beauty, but I had to catch my breath first.:P

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Bonnie...bet you did a little dance too :P Jen feaks out over bugs too, she would be put into an institution if one landed close to her :P:D

I little dance!!!!!....I think I went into a full fledged Rain Dance.....;) I hate bugs and snakes....even for a country girl.:cool:

Archived