Using rulers on the Lenni

Question about ruler use on the Lenni. I've heard the base limits your quilting area by quite a bit, and was wondering what other quilters thought. Is it possible to use a short ruler, for smaller patterns with out the ruler base?

Thanks, Gail

I don't have a Lenni but I do have a 15" mid arm and I would say not to use rulers without the base.  It would be too easy for the ruler to slip off the machine and if you hit the ruler with your needle you are taking a chance on messing your timing up and breaking a needle and possibly damaging your ruler.

Just my opinion.

David

Gail,

I recently bought a used Lenni and I bought a Rulermate extended base. I leave the extended base on all the time.  It doesn't reduce my quilting space at all, the back of the throat hits the bar before the extended base makes contact with the front roller. If you're interested, here's the website  http://www.lovetoquilt.com .  I absolutely love my Lenni on the Bliss table, it's lightweight and the perfect size for me. 

Renee'

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have ordered a Lenni and I am trying to be patient while waiting. I ordered a base for it too so I could do some ruler work, and my question to you all is, what rulers would you recommend for a new user. I have never even worked on a long arm so all this is new to me.

Thank you for any help.

I am fairly new to and just starting to get into rulers....I would say, the first thing is to get comfortable operating your lenni, loading a quilt, getting used to adjusting tension etc.  That will build you some basic skills...then move onto rulers...they are expensive.....Ruler work does take a bit of getting used to and so far, I have just been practicing stitch in the ditch using a ruler.....I would not get too many rulers at first....try it and see if you like it....lots of folks have lots of rulers that they do not use...so I would take it slow....did you get a ruler with the base?  I got one....but it is a bit long and I have now gotten a couple of smaller straight rulers...I just got some circle ones but have not tried them yet....have fun :)  Other folks will chime in here who are more experienced I am thinking.....Lin

I have ordered a Lenni and I am trying to be patient while waiting. I ordered a base for it too so I could do some ruler work, and my question to you all is, what rulers would you recommend for a new user. I have never even worked on a long arm so all this is new to me.

Thank you for any help.

Sheila, sewingpup gives good advice! I've bought way too many rulers, many of which I don't use! The one ruler I can't live without, and use on almost every quilt that I custom quilt is ProLine 4 by Quilters Groove. You can order on Lisa Calle Stonehouse Quilting website. I use it for SID, and crosshatch as well as straight line work on borders, sashings, etc. it's my "go to" essential! Best of luck witn your new Lenni!

I also have a Lenni an extended base for ruler work.  it is the one from AOQS it does cut down on how much space you have as the base hits the bar on both sides before you would normally have to stop.

I am not sure how much space it leaves but I have learned to work within the limits, sometimes it is frustrating.  I also agree it is not a good idea to use rulers without a base.  The ruler mate might work better as it is not as square and big as the other one I don't believe.

Archived