Why would I get a burr on the tip of my needle Solved!

quiltlover03

This is very frustrating. Something has gone wrong in the last couple days with my machine and I be darned if I can put my finger one it. The timing, as far as I can tell is alright, everything is where it should be according to the diagrams in the APQS manual. This is the third needle and after a couple stitches the tip gets dull and burred. My machine just got a thorough cleaning this morning, a new needle just now, some practice stitches and here we go again.....

Any ideas from you good folks would sure be appreciated.

Thanks

Well it seems the needle bar had slipped. I guess that is possible with all the vibration our machines go through. i raised it by about 1/16 or less probably , inserted a new needle and stitched for about 5 minutes straight and no burr....lets hope that was it and it's fixed. First time in almost 5 years this happened to me. How do you spell relief??? Raise the needle bar, lol.

• 2 months later...

I am looking for answers for why suddenly my top thread is breaking. I have checked everything suggested in other posts, and wonder if I need a needle bar adjustment. I just finished a flannel quilt with some very thick seam areas and I had to manually move the needle through it using the flywheel. Could this have affected the needle bar setting?

How exactly do I check the needle bar setting and reset if necessary?

I have underused this forum-- it's great!:)

Cathy, if you check in your manual, you'll find a section on "Timing." The very first step is checking the needle-bar height, and there's good visual direction on what you should see when your needle-bar height is correct. If you don't find what you need, c'mon back here!

Archived