Holes in wide backing

donna sco

My customer brought her quilt and wide back. she had washed and ironed the back. So I loaded it and quilted the quilt. After I was finished and laid the quilt on the table to check for stray threads I found 4 holes in the backing (later 2 more). It appeared maybe when the fabric was on the bolt that the bolt edge got snagged and torn the small holes.

After contacting the customer, I lightly darned the holes and then appliqued small patches over the holes matching the fabric. If there was quilting I hand stitched quilting design over the patch.

What would you have done? Is there a better way to repair the holes?

I tried to take close up pictures so at least she can complain to the vendor,

Great solution to a problem that wasn't your fault! I would have done the darning but probably not the patching and applique.

For repairs of small holes, I have used Misty-fuse (a spun glue-type layer that is heat activated--place under the hole, arrange edges of the hole to be least-conspicuous and set with an iron) or you can try Bonash 007 powder. You can get the Misty-fuse at most quilt shops and the Bonash on-line. Bonash is a powder that you sprinkle on top and under the hole and then cover with a release sheet and heat-set.

These solutions work for any small hole--even the nightmare of tearing a hole through the quilt and backer by advancing the quilt with the needle down. Don't ask me how I know this.......:o

Donna, I sounds like you went above and beyond since you didn't cause the problem!!! Probably have a cusotmer and friend for life!!! Depending on the size of the hole a little drop of Fray-check would keep it from raveling. Fray check tends to be a little stiff if you use a lot but I've started using a pin tip--not head-- to apply it and it is soft and not noticeable. Coming from the bottle, you get a big drop and that's too much.

I think you did the right thing. It was the customer's responsibility, but you showed that you care about quilt, included her in the problem solving, and went beyond expectation by repairing it. I'm sure your excellent customer service will bring you more quilts and customers.

I'm glad you shared this, because once in a while with wide backs I find defects, including dark marks, especially with white/off-white fabrics. Quality control must be more difficult when producing wider yardage. I try to remember to mention this to customers once in awhile, so that they are aware of the problem and might want to inspect wide yardage prior to having it cut in the store.

Archived